Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can i make text not reflow to my first pages where only title and writer's name are to be?

Jan 1, 2013 10:55 AM

My intro always goes to the previous page even though i apply paragraph style that normally makes a paragraph go to the new page or frame...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 1, 2013 11:17 AM   in reply to Yevhenii

I think we need to see some screen shots to understand what's going on....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 12:16 PM   in reply to Yevhenii

What part of that text does not belong on that page?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Yevhenii

Assuming your text frames are threaded, (they don't have to be, you know), you have at least two options:

1. Resize (shorten) the text frame on page 1 so it can't fit anything beyond the names.

2. With your insertion point before the P in Pearson, insert a frame break, (Shift+Num Enter).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 1:24 PM   in reply to Yevhenii

I need two more screen captures, please, to check the keep options.

Place your cursor in the Pearson Education Limited line and right-click on the Paragraph style assigned to it, choose Edit Style... and make a screen capture of that style showing the Keep Options section.

Do the same for the Series Editors line. Please also include the Paragraph Styles  panel in the screen captures so we can see the style applied and if there are any overrides.

Make sure you do this with the cursor in those two lines, so we see the keep options actually assigned and you can verify that you have actually applied the correct styles, and make sure we can tell which screen capture goes with each line.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to John Mensinger

@ John,

Yevhennii thinks this should be happening automatically with the paragraph style (and there's no reason it can't be done that way), so I'd like to verify the keep options in use to be sure they set correctly to do this.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Ah, thanks for waking me up, Peter.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to Yevhenii

OK.

The keep options seem to be correct, and it looks to me inthe screen capture as if the text is properly split. Is there still a problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:06 PM   in reply to Yevhenii

Is this an ePub? Are you showing us the layout pages, or the output pages?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:21 PM   in reply to Yevhenii

I don't do ePub, so I can't check it for you. I think, though, that the problem is that you need to start a new section to get a page break in the reader (that may not be correct, and it may be that you need to adjust the HTML manually). Try starting a new section in the layout for that page (Right click the page in the Pages panel and choose Numbering and Section Options, then just check the start section box).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Yevhenii

Breaking into separate stories may help, too, rather than having threaded text.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to Yevhenii

It might also be that waht you want is a "fixed page" (I think) epub. I don't believe ID exports these directly.

Any lurkers who know something about epub export should step in, please....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 7:44 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

No expert here...

However, whenever--and no matter what tool I am using for an ePub--a page break between one part of content and then the next, I use a new chapter. No idea whether section breaks themselves would prevent the flow of what an ePub is to "snug up" to the previous section. Seems it should, though.

I can give it a try this weekend on an ePub I am fixing for someone.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points