Skip navigation
zorkzero
Currently Being Moderated

Question about PC performance with Adobe products

Jan 2, 2013 9:55 AM

Tags: #computer_specs

I'm using an older desktop computer for most of my Adobe CS6 work, most importantly, Photoshop and Illustrator.  My system is an old but VERY HIGH QUALITY Dell XPS 700 which was made in 2006-07.  These units are HUGE but the fit and finish & quality of materials are unmatched in my opinion.  I'm trying to determine if its time to upgrade to a Dell precision workstation 5600 with a quadro 4000 video card.  I know this is a better system just based on age.  Problem is, the old Dell XPS system I'm currently using actually seems quick.  It cold boots to windows 7 64b desktop in 12 secs.  It runs photoshop and illustrator simultaneously without a problem and does so with little to no noticeable lag.  Here are the specs on the XPS:

- Intel quad q6600

- 8gb ram @800mhz

- samsung 256 SSD

- Nvidia geforce gtx 285 with 1gb ram

The missing piece for me is that I have no experience doing what I do on a machine like the Precision 5600 with a quadro 4000 card.  I know it's a better machine but is it THAT much better?  Some advise replacing desktops just due to age.  I would appreciate any thoughts on whether it's time to let go of the XPS or if I should keep using it as current technology and the real world benefit would not be worth it yet.

I appreciate your time and thoughts

dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 12:19 AM   in reply to zorkzero

Long and short answer: If you experince no performance issues on your old machine, a new one won't make much of a difference nor will upgrading your graphics card. Yopu seem to be working with relatively small imagery, so the advantages of a better processor and more RAM will probably not pay off nor will any of that hardware acceleration stuff....

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 4:07 AM   in reply to Mylenium

I would second Mylenium here. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have a much older Dell workstation, going back to 2004 or so as a second computer. Now it won't run CS6 very well, but it runs and runs every day. I don't need CS6 on this machine so it stays until it dies.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points