Skip navigation
SeanieOS
Currently Being Moderated

PE9 - Getting my exported videos to match my imports

Jan 1, 2013 5:45 PM

Tags: #windows_7 #premiere_elements_9 #import_settings #export_settings #.ts_files #frame_size

Hello

I'm new to PE9, in fact I'm new to video editing period. I never realised it was so complicated..

I use a DVR to record TV shows to a USB Hard drive. The recorded files are .ts files. I downloaded GSpot 2.70a to see their details but unlike with say .avi files when you open a .ts file in GSpot it doesn't give any "Video" info, it only gave me this info:

Container

File Type: MPEG-2 Transport Stream

Mime Type: video/mp2t

Proposed Codec solutions and Tests

Render OK. The following combination of filters was used:

(Src) ->

(A) -> MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer ->

(B) -> MPEG Audio Decoder ->

(C) -> Default DirectSound Device

If I right click on the .ts file in Windows 7 I get this info in the Details section under the files properties:

Video:

Frame Width: 720

Frame Height: 576

Data Rate: 15000

Total Bitrate: 15192

Frame Rate: 25

Audio:

Bit Rate: 192

Channels: Stereo

Audio Sample Rate: 48kHz

I change the file extension from .ts to .m2ts then PE will import it. After a few goes of importing these .m2ts files the audio and video were going out of sync and I read on a forum to get StreamClip and convert the .ts file to an MPEG and then import that. When I do the conversion from .ts to MPEG using StreamClip I input the Frame Height and Width and Frame Rate that I see in the Win7 properties window for the .ts file so I try to match them up.

Now for my PE9 Project Settings I choose: DV PAL Standard, 25fps, 720x576, Upper Field First and import the .ts file that is now converted to an MPEG.

I make my edits and now the audio and video are staying in sync.. great. To export I choose this route: Share>Computer>MPEG>PAL DVD Standard

However when I put the exported MPEG file back on my external USB HD, connect that to my DVR and view it on my TV the aspect ratio looks correct for the TV screen which is not widescreen in shape. it's only about 60% the size of the original so it's not filling up the whole TV screen. I also tried PAL DVD Widescreen and MPEG 2 1440x1080 25fps and same thing.

It doesn't help that I can't see for sure the Bitrate and Frame size of the original .ts file when I drag it into GSpot. Maybe the details from Windows 7 properties on the .ts file are inaccurate somehow?

Do I need to convert the .ts file to an MPEG? I read somewhere that converting to AVI before importing into PE9 is a good idea, which is best? How do I make the exported PE9 MPEG file fill the whole screen on my TV?

Sorry for the long post. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Message was edited by: SeanieOS Clarifying some details.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 1, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to SeanieOS

Well, you've got a couple of issues going on there, Seanie. Not the least of which is that you're trying to edit DVR video in Premiere Elements, which it's not designed to do. Even more so, you're using version 9, which is pretty much limited to editing camcorder video.

Have you tried editing your video in Windows MovieMaker Live? You're doing pretty simple editing, so it should be more than enough for you -- and it tends to handle a wider range of video formats.

There may be  a way to fudge this, if you're determined to work in Premiere Elements. And it's possible version 11 will do a better job than version 9, since it's a much more versatile editor. But either way, you're going to end up with a complicated workaround and compromised results.

In short, I just think this is the wrong tool for the job, Seanie. Swiping TV shows and saving them to DVD just isn't what this program was designed to do.

If you do a Google search on editing DVR files, you'll see that you're not alone in your project. Lots of people are trying to build a library of stuff they recorded off the air. Maybe one of them can offer a better solution for you.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points