I have followed the steps specifically as lined out in the following video:
However, the migration is NOT working. Here's my original setup:
Lightroom 4.1 on desktop. .lrcat files are stored on that computer's C drive. Photos are stored on MS Exchange Server directory.
Moving it to:
New desktop with Windows 8. Only installed Lightroom 4.1, not 4.2 since the original computer only has 4.1. Copied all the photos from the server to the new computer's hard drive. Followed the directions in the above video and loaded said files on an external hard drive. Moved these folders to the new computer installing them in the same directory as other computer. Open the .lrcat file. Because the previous Folders were directed to the server, I remove these from the Folder tool bar, which is when I lose the Collections tags. I import the exact same directory from the C drive of the NEW computer. Now I see in only directory I've imported, images are duplicated and triplicated.
What happened in the interim:
Followed another set of directions posted on the internet where you "export" as a catalogue. I brought the files to the NEW computer and started making modifications. Then, I noticed there was a problem. Not all the photos came over as they should have. I had to print screen all the new changes I just made on the NEW screen and made those same changes on the OLD computer so I could have one computer that has current files for everything. This is where I did another search to find out how to transfer the files and found the above video.
Now, in one directory I have the following problems:
Image 1 - Has the original file where the paintbrush modification pins are visible. However, the changes are the original changes from the OLD computer, not the ones I most recently made.
Image 2 - Same as Image one, but with no pins or modifications showing on the panels. It's as if this is the original file as it was taken from the camera, which it is not. I should mention here, these particular photos I'm working with are .jpg. I do have .NEF but can't solve these problems to even begin looking into the others.
Image 3 - The original photo in its full colour.
My problem here is I don't know which one to use and I don't know if my other ones are coming across incorrectly. I don't want to start working on a new computer to find out my other images didn't transfer correctly and I've got two versions on two different computers. I did NOT recopy the .jpg images from the server to the NEW computer after updating them with the recent changes. I didn't do this because I thought these changes were stored in the catalogue. Should I have copied the new files over again to the hard drive? I have confirmed I'm using the correct .lrcat file. The odd thing, though, when I copy the .lrcat file from my OLD computer to the external hard drive it shows a 1/1/13 date. When I copy it from the external drive to the NEW computer, the date changes to 12/25/2012. I double checked this and did it twice. Both times it changed the date on me, but possibly not a big deal?
Whoever can help me figure this out, I would be greatly appreciative. I have been working on this for the past 2 days now and can't get just one directory set up right, not to mention, my Collection tags are now missing causing additional work. And, maybe none of this matters. If someone can tell me how to setup Lightroom on a new computer while moving photos off a server and placing them on the new computer, that would be awesome! I am at a point with the new computer that I can start completely over.
Because the previous Folders were directed to the server, I remove these from the Folder tool bar, which is when I lose the Collections tags. I import the exact same directory from the C drive of the NEW computer. Now I see in only directory I've imported, images are duplicated and triplicated.
I haven't watched that particular video, but I can't imagine this was the instructions in the video. This is a mistake. You don't remove these folders from the Folder Panel. Instead you right-click on the top level folder and select "Find Missing Folder" and then point LR to the new location of the photos. That's it, you're done.
So, I would go ahead and repeat this part:
New desktop with Windows 8. Only installed Lightroom 4.1, not 4.2 since the original computer only has 4.1. Copied all the photos from the server to the new computer's hard drive. Followed the directions in the above video and loaded said files on an external hard drive. Moved these folders to the new computer installing them in the same directory as other computer. Open the .lrcat file.
and then follow my instructions above.
After making the post, I kept playing with it, and did exactly what you indicated I should have done. Do NOT delete but retag. Doing it this way worked. I didn't remove the post because I wanted to make sure this in fact was the correct solution. Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.
Europe, Middle East and Africa