Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PE11 - Not changing project settings based on source video

Jan 1, 2013 11:25 PM

I keep seeing in various places that PE11 should read my source video and change the project settings to match it when I place it on the timeline in Expert View, but I'm not seeing any indication that this is happening. No matter what kind of video I add, the editing mode (and other settings) in Project Settings stays the same.

I'm trying to work with some older clips (smaller than 720 x 480, fps 25), and none of the project presets apply.

Does it matter if the project setting doesn't match what I'm working on? Or is it made irrelevant by the publish settings I use (assuming I choose the right ones there)?

Thanks,

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

The project settings are based on the first clip you add to your timeline.

You can, of course, also force the settings to be whatever you'd prefer to work with too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

No. Sorry. It always works for me.

You're saying that you're working with DV-AVI video captured by Premiere Elements over FireWire from a miniDV camcorder and the Project Settings don't show you set up for DV video?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

Welcome to the forum.

Let's choose one example (is there one, that is the most common, for this Project?), and list the specs. of that/those Clip(s).

Knowing what you are working with, for the majority of the Clips, will indicate what Project settings, the program should be choosing.

Also, you mention that your Clips are smaller than 720 x 480 (an NTSC Frame Size), then FPS = 25 (a PAL FPS rate), it is very likely that there is not a Preset, that will be identical to your Clips. Knowing how different, will be very helpful.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more please.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

As you've seen, WMVs will not change your project settings. In fact, I'd very much discourage you from using them as source files.

WMVs are a good source for video that you're editing in Windows MovieMaker -- but they make for a pretty lousy source file for virtually any other video editing software.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

It depends on what you plan to do with your finished video. For instance, if you're creating a video project for DVD, you can force project settings for standard DV -- of, if you're building a project for BluRay disc, you'd want to use a high-def project setting.

Just know that your finished piece will either have the 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio. So, if you've got an odd-shaped video dropped into a project set up for 16:9, you might well find the video letterboxed.

What do you plan to do with your finished video?

Also, why do you have so many videos in WMV format? As I said, WMVs have a very limited use as source video.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 5:49 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

As Steve points out, WMV is a good format w/ CODEC's, for streaming video, but they are not a good format/CODEC to edit, and require a lot of processing overhead, to do so. Also, WMV is originally heavily compressed, and if Imported and edited, the quality will go down with most Export/Share options.

Is is possible to get the material, before it is output in WMV? That would be much better.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

Dave,

To give you some idea of the issues with WMV's, going back a year, or so, a client handed off 4 WMV's that needed light editing, a bunch of Titles, and then authoring to DVD. I asked for the material, prior to the WMV, but they immediately stated that the WMV's were all that they could get. I felt that they were being lazy, and then I got lazy too. I Imported the WMV's into Premiere, did the edits, and then started the output to DV-AVI for authoring in Adobe Encore. I was working on my workstation, so had major processing power. The Transcoding began, and then I got a call, that the client needed things sooner, than originally stated. I was still hours away for that deadline.

I went to my laptop, converted those 4 WMV's to DV-AVI files, Imported them into Premiere, did those same edits, added the Titles, and began the output. It finished in about 20 mins., and then I went to Encore, created the Menus, did the navigation, and burned the DVD-Videos, with testing. I delivered the finished product, while the workstation was still processing the WMV's. That finished about an hour after the courier picked up the finished product. That taught me a big lesson - do not use WMV's, and even considering the time to convert those to DV-AVI, the entire process would be about 80% faster - even on my laptop vs the workstation.

I knew that I should have just done the conversion, initially, but was a bit mad, that the client would not even look for the original files. I learned a few lessons (one that I already knew, but anger led me elsewhere) from that Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 5:27 AM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

Our FAQs indicate the best tool for converting WMVs is Windows MovieMaker 2.6 (not to be confused with MovieMaker Live), which is still available as a download from the Microsoft site.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

I have one converter, that I really like, DigitalMedia Converter 2.7, however it is shareware, and there are also several newer versions of it, which I have not tried yet (since 2.7 works so well for me). One of the things that I like about it is the ability to batch process many files. I just load it up, check my settings (usually DV-AVI for my Projects), start it, grab a cup of coffee, and when I come back, the conversions are done and waiting for Import. I was so impressed, that I bought a license for each of my computers.

There are also several other freeware, and shareware conversion programs, and many users have their personal favorites. Going way back, I had tested several, and decided that DMC did everything, that I wanted, so have not investigated any others, in many years.

Many use WMM (not the Live version), to convert WMV's, just as Steve points out. Since WMM is free for the PC, it is a good place to start. I have one quibble with WMM, in that it Exports to DV-AVI Type I, and Premeire is designed around DV-AVI Type II. Only a slight difference, and Premiere can usually handle Type I's just fine, but I have seen some OOS (Out Of Sync) issues, but those are usually static OOS, and easily fixed.

I do conversions for much of my Audio too, outputting to PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit, if the Audio Source Files are not already PCM/WAV - say from MP3, AAC or WMA. For Audio, I use Adobe Audition, but the great, free Audacity, works well too. I like Audition, because I am often doing other audio-editing, at the same time, and I already own a couple of versions of it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

I have no experience with it, but have seen it recommended by others.

Once I hit upon DMC, I really quit looking.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt Corrected the first sentence to read "I have NO experience... "

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to DaveEbenhoh

OK, with 1920 x 1080 HD Source Footage, with the standard PAR = 1.0 (square pixels), I would instead of using a conversion program, create a matching Project in PrE, Import that HD material, and then Export/Share to DV-AVI widescreen, letting PrE handle that PAR.

Now, WMV is not an ideal format to edit, as has been said, because of the high-compression, and the power that it takes to process it (decoding, in this case).

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I did not realize that you had 1920 x 1080 HD material to start.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points