Skip navigation
Larry.Dean
Currently Being Moderated

Help -- Lightroom 4.2 Destroyed My Catalog and It's Backup!

Jan 1, 2013 8:28 PM

Tags: #problem #catalog #lr4 #lightroom4

I performed a backup of my Lightoom 4.2 catalog upon exiting an editing session.  No errors were reported.  The next time I opened Lightroom it said the catalog was invalid.  Upon checking I found both the catalog and it's backup totally empty -- 0 bytes.  It must have erased the catalog during the integrity checking/optimization process prior to doing the backup.  Is there any way to recover this catalog?  If not, I will have lost a lot of work since the previous backup a week earlier.  Obviously the catalog was fine just prior to the backup process as I had just been successfully using it.  How could something so catastrophic have happened??  Any and all help will be appreciated!  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 6:04 AM   in reply to Larry.Dean

It sounds to me like you (accidentally) opened an new or empty catalog, instead of your most recent catalog.

Have you checked File->Open Recent to see if there are other catalogs listed?

Have you checked your hard disk to see what catalogs exist?

By the way, I seriously doubt this: "It must have erased the catalog during the integrity checking/optimization process prior to doing the backup."

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:11 PM   in reply to Larry.Dean

Larry.Dean wrote:

My only recourse is to revert to an earlier backup causing me to lose a week's worth of work!

That's very unfortunate. But I hope you now recognize the wisdom of the Lr engineers who gave Lr the option to backup the catalog <Every Time Lr Exits>.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to Larry.Dean

So, did you or did you not see any other catalogs under File->Open Recent?

Did you or did you not check your hard disk to see what catalogs exist?

Is Adobe going to treat this as a bug? or did they just say "we're sorry" and that's the end of it?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points