Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The Stabilizer is destabilizing my video

Jan 2, 2013 12:42 AM

The stabilizer effect seems not to work correctly on my videos, even not in the default settings.

The result is worse, jumping frames, some of them are tilted, and the rendering takes a lot of patience and long long waiting.

Any idea how to do it better?

Peter

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to Guggi0

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

Which version of the program are you using and one what operating system? How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

What is the subject matter of your video? Is it relatively stable content, like someone standing at a podium speaking, or something with a lot of movement and continually changing content? Can you post a sample clip of your results and post a link to it so we can see it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to Guggi0

Since your camcorder is HDV, I assume you captured your video by connecting it to your computer with a FireWire connection and then using Premiere Elements' Capture tools to get the video. And I also assume that, when you started your project, you set it up for HDV 1440x1080 (not AVCHD). Am I assuming correctly?

Since the Stabilizer builds its stablizing corrections on a subject or color it identifies in the middle of the frame, it's much less effective at following action. Particularly if there's a lot of blurred movement and a lot of handheld shaking.

But we'll be able to diagnose more once you post your video to YouTube or Vimeo and then post a link to it on this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to Guggi0

Your results looks about right for default settings for the Stabilizer.

What happens if you change the Applied Effects settings?

Remember, that the Stabilizer is just math, not magic. So the more corrections the Stabilizer needs to add to your video, the more the program has to cut off the edges and zoom in and the lower the quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 7:18 AM   in reply to Guggi0

The Stabilizer works great.

Is it suited for all shaky clips: hell no.

Your footage is far to shaky to get properly stabilized.

Did you have the OIS on?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to Guggi0

Your camcorder has some built-in features for steadying handheld video.

On my Sony, it's located in Functions/Menu/Camera Settings (where you set whether the cam will shoot widescreen or 4:3 video). It's called Steadyshot, and you can toggle it on or off.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to Guggi0

Not sure how it might (or might not) apply, but many really like the Mercalli plug-in, for stabilization.

Might be worth a look?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points