Skip navigation
2013ALAM
Currently Being Moderated

RAW IMAGE EDITING -help required

Jan 2, 2013 4:27 AM

Tags: #raw #editing #elements11

Please can someone help me with this.

I look at my RAW images in Organiser and then I use the EDIT tap to move to the RAW IMAGE edit section with the image I want to edit.

After I have edited the image- I move the image back to the main EDIT screen and then save as a Jpeg File in another folder.

The problem I am having is, when I then go back to the Organiser, I cant open the unedited original RAW image again, not sure why this is?

although I can see a small thamb-nail of the image it does not open but keeps on searching.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to 2013ALAM

Ask in the PSE forum and provide better info like what version of PSE, what system, what camera etc...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to Mylenium

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop Elements forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to 2013ALAM

2013ALAM wrote:

Please can someone help me with this.

I look at my RAW images in Organiser and then I use the EDIT tap to move to the RAW IMAGE edit section with the image I want to edit.

After I have edited the image- I move the image back to the main EDIT screen and then save as a Jpeg File in another folder.

The problem I am having is, when I then go back to the Organiser, I cant open the unedited original RAW image again, not sure why this is?

although I can see a small thamb-nail of the image it does not open but keeps on searching.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance

To be sure I understand your workflow, I'll put it in my own words...

- You select a raw file in the Organizer, and you choose to edit it in full edit/expert mode (that depends on the PSE version).

- The file opens in the specific dialog panel of ACR, with its typical sliders

- When you have done your edits there, you can either be satisfied with them (case 1) or want to do further editing in the PSE editor with layers or other tools (case 2)

- case 1  - you simply click 'Done' and you are back in the organizer. The thumbnail is updated to show the edits.

- case 2 - You click 'Open' and the file opens in the normal editor mode of PSE. You do further edits, and you save the result in the format and the folder you want. When you close the image in the editor, you get back to the Organizer. If you have set your 'save as'  with the right checkbox, the new jpeg is stored in the the Catalog as a version set.

Your problem seems to be that once you have edited your original raw file, you don't see it in its original state without the edits ?

If so, in the bar just under the tabs, you have a menu on the right (4 bars icon). You just set the choice to camera raw defaults, and you are shown the original raw image without your edits. Note that if you choose 'Shift + Open', you open a new copy without changing the previous settings saved in the xmp sidecar file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to 2013ALAM

Paige is now confused.

2013ALAM says, originally: "... when I then go back to the Organiser, I cant open the unedited original RAW image again, not sure why this is? although I can see a small thamb-nail of the image it does not open but keeps on searching."

Michel paraphrases: "Your problem seems to be that once you have edited your original raw file, you don't see it in its original state without the edits" (which doesn't seem to me what 2013ALAM said, he said he can't open the file and it searches).

2013ALAM responds: "MichelBParis- yes you have understood that well." and then goes on to restate that "it just 'searches and searches' without finding the file"

The "searches and searches" part is particularly bothersome. The only thing I know of in the Organizer that would cause "searches and searches" is if the original RAW file is disconnected, as if somehow 2013ALAM (or some program) has renamed or moved or deleted the original RAW, and hasn't told us that he carried out that step.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 3:13 PM   in reply to 2013ALAM

I really doubt that the JPG has anything to do with this problem.

Can you describe what happens when this searching happens? Is there a message on the screen, or an icon on the screen, that indicates it is searching? Or is it something else that leads you to believe it is searching.

How big are these RAW files? What camera do they come from? When you did the editing, did you do a lot of noise removal and/or a lot of sharpening?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 4:39 PM   in reply to 2013ALAM

Are you using Windows? Which version?

Are the original RAW photos on an external HD?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 5:50 PM   in reply to 2013ALAM

The reason PSE is searching for your photos is that it cannot find them -- they are not in the location that PSE expects them to be in. This almost always happens becuase you, or some program, has moved or renamed or deleted the photos or the folder that contains them.

Is there a question-mark icon in the rectangle around the images in the PSE organizer?

You need to find a specific photo with this problem in your Windows Folders, and write down the exact folder path name and file name. Then you need to go into PSE and for the same photo, write down the exact folder path name and file name from PSE (right-click on the photo, select Show Properties, General Tab). Once you have both of these, you need to compare them, letter by letter, to see if they are identical. Report back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 4:06 AM   in reply to 2013ALAM

Did you actually check to see if the names matched? Just assuming the names match because they "should match" won't get us anywhere. We either need to eliminate name/folder changes as a possibilty, or determine that this is the problem.

What do you mean by ".RAW", I thought your camera takes .CR2 photos. Do the photos names really end with .RAW?

They dont have a question mark on them but rather the 'edit' icon the 'double sided of a box with a paint brush' in it.

Please show us a screen capture.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 12:58 PM   in reply to 2013ALAM

If you have ACR 7 or later, then there are no recovery and fill light sliders. Adobe has replaced them with better tools.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points