Skip navigation
sarahannekibs
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign conversion to HTML

Jan 2, 2013 8:22 AM

I am creating a course catalog for a university. I have been using Framemaker 10 to create it but am thinking about making the shift to InDesign (I currently own Creative Suite 5).  My main concern is the conversion of the InDesign document into HTML.  I need to make sure that all of my hyperlinks, cross references, index and table of contents links still work in the HTML format.  Is there a way to do this in InDesign or is there a supplemental product that can help me do this automatically?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 9:16 AM   in reply to sarahannekibs

Use InDesign's File > Export > HTML. Depending on your layout, you may need to do manual work. A quick test verified that an ID cross-reference within a document is active in the converted HTML I didn't test a cross-document cross-reference.

Download the InDesign trial to see how it suits your needs. Ooops, are you wondering how to go from FM to ID? Export to RTF via FM or mif2go and File > Place into a new ID document. Then you can test your links and active areas. You can convert from FM to ID with the commercial third-party MIF Filter plug-in for InDesign, from dtptools.com. You can test it for free forever, but you can't save or print until you a purchase a quantity of page credits. Not all FM constructs have counterparts in ID, so you'll want to see how your particular documents are converted.

Search Google for terms like "convert FrameMaker to InDesign," without quotes for more.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

sarahannekibs wrote:

I am creating a course catalog for a university. I have been using Framemaker 10 to create it but am thinking about making the shift to InDesign (I currently own Creative Suite 5).  My main concern is the conversion of the InDesign document into HTML.  I need to make sure that all of my hyperlinks, cross references, index and table of contents links still work in the HTML format.  Is there a way to do this in InDesign or is there a supplemental product that can help me do this automatically?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 10:25 AM   in reply to sarahannekibs

Your ID index refers to pages in the layout. When you export to HTML that layout no longer exists -- there is no concept of numbered pages to which you can refer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to sarahannekibs

You're welcome, Sarah.

I can't speak to the InDesign to Dreamweaver issues. Search Google for terms like "InDesign to dreamweaver conversion" without quotes.

InDesign CS6 has terrific e-publishing features. You might want to look into one of these formats for your documents. Are there limitations in FrameMaker's PDF or electronic publishng abiliies that don't work for you? Search Google for terms like "FrameMaker electronic publishing" without quotes.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

sarahannekibs wrote:

Thanks Peter,

I had not thought of how to go from Framemaker to InDesign, that may be helpful.  But actually I was looking for a solution in converting InDesign to HMTL while carrying over a workable table of contents and index.  When I export to Dreamweaver my Index for some reason is not exported along with it.

Sarah

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to sarahannekibs

It's annoying and time-consuming, but what I did was exactly what you suggest: I converted my index to a pile of cross-references. If you go that route, I would suggest that you pick up a license for DTP Tools' Cross-References PRO. I did by hand - but I only had about a hundred xrefs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 10:42 AM   in reply to sarahannekibs

This is outside of my workflow, so I'm only able to deal in theoreticals here, but I suspect it would be posible to convert the index markers into hyperlink destinations, probably through scripting, though I'm not quite sure how you'd deal with a topic that has multiple locations (references to multiple pages). Were you able to do all of this in Framemaker previously?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points