Skip navigation
Eric E 1016
Currently Being Moderated

Timeline and chapter questions-New User

Jan 2, 2013 10:58 AM

Hi,

I have a programming issue that I hope you can help me with.

I created a timeline in P5.0 that has 7 segments and brought it in to E5.0 through dynamic link. It shows up as 1 continuous timeline.

What I need to do for the customer is design a disk that starts at the menu. The user then selects topic on the menu that plays though a portion of the timeline (a segment of the video) and returns to the menu after the segment is finished. Next, the user can select another segment, view, and so on.

I can't seem to find a way to do this. Is it possible, or do I have to bring in each segment as a seperate timeline?

Thank you,

Eric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to Eric E 1016

Where you are more interested in the play as segments, you might find it easier to nest the sequence in Premiere 5 times, changing in each so you have 5 sequences for the 5 segments. (You must bring all of a sequence in for a dynamic link, but you can create sequences easy enough.)

With the separate segments, one per timeline, it is easy to do what yo8u want. And for a "play all," just put them into a playlist.

When the segments are in one timeline, create a "chapter play list" with only one segment in it. (Repeat for each segment.) Then link the "play segment" button to the segment's chapter play list.

You don't say: if this is DVD, no problem. If Bluray, the chapter play list was not added in Encore till CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 12:14 PM   in reply to Eric E 1016

Can I assume the programming is working correctly?

Preview is a basic check, but does not predict well enough for a final check. I use preview, then bujild to a folder and play with Total Media Theater (I find it does better than some others for slideshows, operation of the remote), then burn to a DVD+RW and play on a dvd player.

Also I get two errors when using "check project" in the build window, a comment about having the wrong end action on the last marker, and it references an orphan sequence. But in preview it seems to be OK.

These are more warnings than errors. The end action means you have an end action on a chapter. This can create problems for you. You should have an end action on the timeline, and an end action on each chapter play list. You should have no end actions on any chapters.

The orphan sequence probably means that you do not link a button to the timeline itself, only to the chapter play lists. That will probably work okay. I've always kept a play all, so  never ran in to it!

Be aware that Encore has trouble with lots of changes in a project. If you have odd  problems, create a brand new Encore project, and do it over. You can import as menu the old menus.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 2:00 PM   in reply to Eric E 1016

When you have problems with Encore, be sure you are running "as administator." When problems with dynamic link, export from Premiere as MPEG2-DVD. This requires you to know what bitrate you need for the size on DVD.

Separate the transcoding from other parts of the build by using "transcode now" once your project is ready to build.

If you continue to have problems, I would do a short piece as dynamic link in a new test project to see if there is something fundamental wrong.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to Eric E 1016

Excellent!

Also, I could not get the nested sequence to come in to Encore as seperate timelines.

From Encore, dynamic link to that PR project; you should see all the sequences.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points