Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Turned off Layers visible on PDFs in Mac Products

Jan 2, 2013 10:53 AM

Tags: #illustrator #pdf #cs6

I have several documents with what I call "reference layers" in them that I turn off when making a PDF. When I view the PDF on a Windows based machine, it is fine in both FireFox and IE. When viewing the PDF on a Mac product (iPad, iPhone, Mac desktop), the layers I have turned off are showing up in the PDF. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to MapgirlAJ

You probably need to change print layers to visible layers on the mac, and that setting is already chanegd on Win.

Screen Shot 2013-01-02 at 1.07.04 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 11:31 AM   in reply to MapgirlAJ

Print Layers affects the save as to pdf command. Set that to visible layers, and you will get what you need.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to MapgirlAJ

If Mike's suggestion doesn't fix your issue, try this. When you save as a PDF with Create Acrobat layers on, the hidden layers can appear on older versions of Acrobat that do not support layers, and possibly other apps as well. Try un-checking this option. I believe a PDF saved with hidden Acrobat layers can have the hidden layers turned back on in Acrobat, so if you don't want anybody to see them, don't include them. On the other hand, if your PDF is complex and uses transparency, including layers should help prevent stitching.

Acrobatlayers.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 4:15 AM   in reply to MapgirlAJ

You are welcome. I believe saving a PDF with Acrobat layers on simply saves all of the Illustrator layers in your PDF, they may or may not be visible when opened in Acrobat. To see the layers in Acrobat, go to View> Show/Hide> Navigation Panes> Layers, all of your layers (hidded or not) should appear on the list of layers. (Acrobat X). Some apps will ignore Acrobat's attempt to hide them. If you don't save your PDF with Acrobat layers, the hidden layers will be deleted.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points