Skip navigation
Robert Koepke
Currently Being Moderated

Grey boxes with question marks

Jan 2, 2013 12:46 PM

When I view some PDFs, a grey box with a red question mark inside appears. I cannot move, edit, or delete these boxes. I searched the web and most of the responses indicated that such boxes indicated corrupt images, but my documents do not have images. Mine appear at the start and end of text blocks. They do not appear in thumbnail view. I am running Acrobat Professional, version 8.1.

What are these boxes and how can I get rid of them?

Attached is a screen shot of what I am seeing.

Robert

grey box.GIF

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to Robert Koepke

How do you know that this document from 1959 is not a scan or partially scanned? Can you select individual words on the page? Questions can also come from fonts that are not properly embedded in the document. It is also possible that the fonts used in 1959 were not available when the tried to pdf the document?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Robert Koepke

Do you have any 3rd party plug-ins for Acrobat installed? What Operating System are you running Acrobat 8 on?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Robert Koepke

Could you send me a link to an example file? You could post the PDF on Acrobat.com <https://www.acrobat.com/main/en/home.html> .

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 6:20 AM   in reply to Robert Koepke

These appear to be some sort of annotation but they don't appear in the Comments pane only the Content panel. They're titled APEX:Zone. Are you aware of some sort of 3rd party tool related to this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 10:30 AM   in reply to LoriAUC

A little more info to follow up the excellent diagnosis.

When Acrobat opens a PDF and it finds annotations of an unknown type it shows these boxes. The way to get them to disappear (or change to something else) is to install a specific plug-in designed to show them.

Older versions of Acrobat would just show nothing at all.

Acrobat 5 would show nothing.

Acrobat 7 would show the boxes.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points