Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why am I seeing the "Editing sub-elements on Auto Shape..." every time I move a rounded rectangle?

Jan 2, 2013 2:16 PM

Tags: #auto_shape #sub_elements

Hi,

Every time I move a rounded rectangle around the page, I see this dialog box:

Screen Shot 2013-01-03 at 9.13.54 AM.png

And usually afterwards, I cannot edit some properties of the shape, such as the roundness of the corners. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 10:29 PM   in reply to LinearGradient

Annoying, isn't it?

You shouldn't run into this problem if you use the Pointer tool (the black arrow) to move Smart Shapes on the canvas. But you will run into it if you use the Subselection tool (the white arrow). Where I tend to run into this alert message is when I option-click to copy an object, as the Option key also acts as a shortcut to the Subselection tool, and I wind up accidentally subselecting a portion of the Smart Shape.

The fact that you may not be able to edit a property like corner roundness afterwards is exactly what this dialog is trying to warn you about. If that's the case, you may want to click the Cancel option at the first appearance of such a dialog, and rethink what tool you're currently using.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 8:21 AM   in reply to LinearGradient

Yeah, that's a good point. After accidentally subselecting a Smart Shape (and choosing Cancel), it isn't enough to just switch to the Pointer tool. Clicking once or twice on the object with the Pointer tool should work to select the item properly. Otherwise, you can also click on the canvas to deselect the object first.

Take a look at the object on the canvas; its appearance will give you a clue about what's been selected (or not).

bad selection.pnggood selection.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points