Skip navigation
geckogrins
Currently Being Moderated

I accidentally deleted both of my catalogs!

Jan 2, 2013 6:19 PM

Tags: #problem

In my New Years' organizing spree today, I decided to split my Lightroom catalog into two separate catalogs.  I didn't see an efficient way of doing this, so what I did was copy my entire catalog into a new catalog, and then I deleted (from disk) the ones that didn't belong in the respective catalog.  After I deleted a few "catalog A" photos from catalog B, I double-checked catalog A to make sure I wasn't totally deleting them. . .only to later find out that I was only looking at a thumbnail.  So now ALL of my photos are deleted, and I can't figure out how to restore them. 

I used Time Machine to restore yesterday's version of Lightroom 4 lrcat.  I created a new catalog--trying to start fresh--tried to import the photos from LR 4 lrcat.  I have thumbnails, but on each it says "the file named x is offline or missing." 

I also have a LR 3 catalog which houses the bulk of my years of photos since I just upgraded to LR4 a month or so ago.  I tried restoring that from Time Machine as well but was unsuccessful in getting anything more than a picture that says "the file named x is offline or missing." 

Although I am hopeful because I do use Time Machine, I do have a foreboding feeling because at some point when I deleted over 1000 images, I got a message that said that this action could not be undone because I was doing it to 1000+ images. 

I am using LR 4.3.  Using OS X 10.8.2. 

I am using some RAW files, others from earlier years are JPGs. 

Thanks, and I promise to learn how to do things the right way if only I can get my years of photos of my kids back!!! 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 2, 2013 6:23 PM   in reply to geckogrins

Look inthe trash and restore them from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 2, 2013 7:24 PM   in reply to geckogrins

The image files should be in the Trash and by Comtrol clicking them you have an Option to Put Back. This should return them to whence they came.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 1:09 AM   in reply to geckogrins

Hi,

you can try PhotoRec http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec to get back your images, if Thash is "empty".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to geckogrins

It sounds to me like you restored the catalogue using time machine, but not the images? If you also deleted images then you'll need to restore those using time machine as well. The images don't reside inside the catalogue, so if you deleted images and the catalogue, you'll need to restore both.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to geckogrins

The catalog has information about the images, but not the images. It's a database that contains information about the images, a pointer to where they are etc. It contains light room adjustments, for example, and lightroom previews, key words etc. But no, not the image itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 5:38 PM   in reply to bellevue scott

Importing from one catalog to another and reimporting files is how you have lost your work. You would be best to view some of the videos on AdobeTv before you go any further as you are heading down a road of no recovery, you still have a chance to recover your edits (maybe) but you will need some knowledge (from videos) and expert help (here). Do nothing until advised or you may create a lot of unnecessary work for yourself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 10:10 PM   in reply to Geoff the kiwi

The images don't reside in the catalog?

I think Lr users should be required to successfully complete a little pop-quiz before Lr will start up.

Until questions properly answered, Lr will just present a tutorial.

Or at a minimum, a checkbox: [_] I do solemnly swear that I understand about catalog, importing, xmp, ...

Rob

|
    Mark as:
  • Victoria Bampton
    5,302 posts
    Apr 1, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 12:29 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

I think Lr users should be required to successfully complete a little pop-quiz before Lr will start up.

Or at a minimum, a checkbox: [_] I do solemnly swear that I understand about catalog, importing, xmp, ...

I'd vote for that request!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points