Skip navigation
MasterCutz
Currently Being Moderated

Layer Opacity and Display & Rendering Issues.

Jan 2, 2013 8:03 PM

As part of my title sequence, I'm trying to attain an effect in AE where a photographic image, as it moves down within the frame, changes from black & white to color. There will be a series of such images to be treated as such. All will show movement (e.g., scaling, panning, etc.) and will change from black & white to color or vice versa.

In my project I've used each photo on two different normal layers with an adjustment layer in between. The Black & White effect has been applied to the adjustment layer.  For each image, the one that is to remain in color is above the adjustment layer; and the one that is to be shown in black & white is below the adjustment layer.

The problem is that, for some reason, the program will not change the Opacity properly in the Composition window or even after I render it to a .mov file. The image displays as black & white in the upper half and color in the lower half. It's supposed to dissolve from black & white to color.

What is happening?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 12:57 AM   in reply to MasterCutz

Could be a hardware acceleration issue with the b&w effect. Turn off OpenGL to verify. also make sure your adjustment layer is not clipped/ masked/ repositioned/ smaller than your comp. Remeber: The adjustment layer merely defines the area to which the effect will be applied, the actula processing still happens on the buffer below it. For anything else we will need more info ansd screenshots. We do not even know what version of AE you are referring to.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to MasterCutz

You could always animate the Hue/Saturation effect for each photo layer and eliminate adjustment layers entirely.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to MasterCutz

Show us a screenshot of your Timeline panel, being sure to show the properties and layers that you've set up to attempt to get your result.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points