Skip navigation
dannygdesigns
Currently Being Moderated

Why does Photoshop keep becoming unresponsive?

Jan 3, 2013 11:19 AM

Tags: #photoshop #problem #help #crashing #unresponsive

Posted this before but got no answer or help, I will be working on my mac on photoshop then If i switch to the mail app or any other app on my mac most times, Photoshop becomes unresposive when I go back to it, Like its still in the background but cant make it work without keep clicking off and on the window several times. Attached is a picture of what the window looks like when it becomes in this unresponsive state.

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/9hqp86.png[/IMG]

As you can see the window becomes in a greyed out colour and I have to keep clicking on the window then off the window (desktop) then so forth until it eventually lets me work again. Its very strange and hard to explain just hope someone can help me or know that others have this issue too, its very frustrating too as I work everyday using Photoshop.

Thanks in advance

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 12:03 AM   in reply to dannygdesigns

I can just provide generic advice …

Boilerplate-text:

Are Photoshop and OS fully updated?

As with all unexplainable Photoshop-problems you might try trashing the prefs (after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed) by keeping command-alt-shift pressed on starting the program or starting from a new user-account.

System Maintenance (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, etc.) might also be beneficial, Onyx has been recommended for such tasks.

Weeding out bad fonts never seems to be a bad idea, either. (Validate your fonts in Font Book and remove the bad ones.)

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-fonts-photoshop-cs5.h tml

If 3rd party plug-ins are installed try disabling them to verify if one of those may be responsible for the problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 4:39 AM   in reply to dannygdesigns

We don't know anything about your Mac... The behavior could be a graphics issue, but we don't know what card you have, whether you use Spaces/ multiple virtual desktops and so on. also your Mail program or whatever could be blocking stuff or gobbling up resource so PS can't work. Could be all kinds of things...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points