Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Make a hole & round a square psd

Jan 3, 2013 1:01 PM

I've search for hours and give up.

How do I make a transparent hole in CS6? I've tried the ellipse tool>stroke>blend opacity to 0, but that just clears the gray circle. It does not create a clear hole.

Just so you know, I have a square psd in a file with numerous other layers and I want to make it round and put a transparent circle in the center to make a DVD label. That's what I'm after and I can't believe I forgot how to do this.

Thx everyone.

Paul

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to Paul Stark

Paul,

There are a couple of ways to do that, depending on your Layers.

Basically, create you ~ 25 - 43mm (depends on the hub design of your disc) Circle (Elliptical Marquee Tool, constrained to Center & Circle with the Alt & Shift keys - I would also do perpendicular Guides for the exact center of the Image). You now have your Circular Selection. Hit Ctrl+Shift+I to Invert that Selection. Here, I would Save Selection. Then, with that Inverted Selection active, create a Layer Mask.  If you have Layers stacked in that area, just repeat the process for each. That is why we Saved that Selection, though you could get it back with other techniques. Before you do that, you might ask yourself about those other Layers. Personally, I would first Save that Layered PSD, then Flatten, so you only "punch" one hole, but that is your choice.

For the outter knockout, just repeat the process, but with a larger Circle. Note: many printers do not require that outer circles, as they will limit the ink coverage to just the DVD/CD, but I like to clean things up, as few DVD's/CD's allow printing to 100% of the diameter, and there is no sense possibly spreading some ink on the tiny area outside of the printable surface. It just depends on your printer, and its driver.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points