Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Today's daily Fireworks CS6 crash

Jan 3, 2013 2:04 PM

Tags: #bug #bugs

<rant>

It was a good day... I only lost 30-45 min of work this time, and sadly, the Fireworks auto-panic-save produced garbage.

Im a creative cloud subscriber, and I rely on Fireweworks daily to earn a living.  But I'm about at the end of my rope with this product.

Photoshop is not an alternative for the type of work I do,  yet I feel that is where Adobe is trying to lead us.  Fireworks CS6++ needs a re-write, simply bolting un-needed new features to this 32-bit Frankenstein wont cut it.

Same behavior from two different Mac-Pro's (home / office), running two different versions of OSX (10.7x / 10.8x).

</rant>

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 11:22 PM   in reply to BigMucho

Have you given Sketch a look?

http://www.bohemiancoding.com/sketch/

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 12:42 PM   in reply to groove25

I have given Sketch a shot, and I feel like it's just as buggy, if not more buggy, than Fireworks.

BigMucho,

I too rely on Fireworks every day for work and too experience the daily crashes.  It really is a shame that the only product designed to for interactive work is filled with so many issues.

The only thing I can recommend (and i highly recommend you do) is enable autosave.  I have mine set for 5 minute increments, so at most I lose 5 minutes worth of work.  Just make sure you save the document before you start working on it, so there is an file to be autosaved.

It's really pathetic that I have to use such a hack of a fix just to make Fireworks functional.  Hopefully either Adobe gets its act straight with Fireworks, or another product (like Sketch) comes along as a proper replacement. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 15, 2013 9:20 PM   in reply to growing

@growing: Would you mind sharing how you enable and adjust the "auto save" settings? I see online that it can be edited directly from within a Preferences text file, as well as by using some type of command panel extension. But these seem like "back door" approaches. Is there a "front door" method to accessing this somewhat under-documented feature?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2013 7:10 AM   in reply to groove25

@groove25,

Unfortunately there is no "front door" approach from within the Fireworks App to enabling auto save.  But it is a really easy fix from within the preferences file.  Just do an "cmd + f" search from within the file for "autosave".

http://stuffandnonsense.co.uk/blog/about/turn_on_fireworks_cs6_auto_sa ve

Here is the tutorial I used.  Like in the tutorial, I left my auto save time increment at 5 minutes, which works perfectly for me.

I hope this helps and saves you some frustration as it has for me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)