Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 hangs on certain actions on certain file

Jan 3, 2013 3:13 PM

Hi — I'm running CS6 on Mac 10.8.2 on 2011 MB Pro. The problem is that an action performed on a single file, in a single passage (about 10 paragraphs), is causing no end of spinning beach ball hangs and leading to many a force quit. Very frustrating.

The actions attempted that induce a hang so far include:

Copy

Paste

Paragraph Style change

Delete Page [!]

Delete Spread

This document is part of a 13-file book; all other docs performing fine when these same maneuvers performed.

Ran Repair Disk and killed prefs on CS6.

This is the second such document so affected.  I was able to get all the content out of that other document and into a fresh clean file. Having trouble with that this time.  But I'll find a way.

My question is — is there a way to "clean up" documents that obviously have integrity issues?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to Quindaro

You can also try an export to .idml. See Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to Quindaro

That's a really bad sign (being stuck -- .idml files are very compact). Give it a few more minutes before force quitting. I suspect, thought, that you'll have to force quit, and then possibly empty the recovery folder. IN any case you should make a backup copy of the file for safety and then I would recreate it from scratch. If you can, export the stories from the current file as InDesign Tagged Text and you can place those into a new file.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points