Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Optimum settings for gpu card

Jan 3, 2013 2:52 PM

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 55 Ti card in my machine. However, the performance is less than expected. I have read that this is beacuase PS was configured to only recognise certain high end quatro cards. I found an article on how to force PS to recognise other cards but only for Premier Pro. Can some one point me to a fix for this in PS ? I did a search for a file called GPUSniifer.exe but can't see that on my system. Any help would be appreciated.

I am running CS5...

Regards,

TL.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 3, 2013 3:23 PM   in reply to Herugrim123

Where did you read that misinformation?  Photoshop can use any working GPU that meets the minimum requirements.

And forcing Photoshop to recognize a card is not something you should be doing (that's just for GPU makers to debug their drivers).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to Herugrim123

I did a search for a file called GPUSniifer.exe but can't see that on my system.

That utility is for Premiere Pro, to help a user alter a txt file, to allow CUDA support for Premiere's MPE (Mercury Playback Engine) for a capable, but not certified nVidia card. For more info on CUDA/MPE for Premiere Pro, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4152667#4152667

Remember, that is for Premiere Pro, as of CS 5, and is NOT for Photoshop.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to Herugrim123

Photoshop does not use CUDA, only certain feature in PrPro use it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Herugrim123

The reviewer fell into a trap, that we see often. The Creative Suite name, CS 5 in this case, applies across a fairly large band of software. He should have said "Premiere Pro CS 5."

Arond the forums, we often see posts like, "I have CS 6, and am trying to do _____... " The first question is usually "CS 6 what?" Often, one can infere that if posted to the Premiere Pro Forum, they are talking about PrPro CS 6, but it often turns out to be Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.

Now, the Open GL is part of the video handling in PS, but the CUDA core count, and capabilities, do not have any bearing, at least not yet. MPE is used to accelerate certain playback options, and also some processing options, mostly with MPEG Video.

I do not believe that PS uses CUDA for its Video, but maybe others will prove me wrong, or support that statement. I have not read of PS's use, and again, yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt,

That is my understanding, as well. Do you know if that applies to the video handling in PS-Extended (CS 5 & 5.5), and PS CS 6? I have not seen anything contrary to my belief, and as I recall the introduction (actually, going back to the pre-introduction) of MPE via CUDA support for PrPro, I would assume that Adobe would trumpet it - but I might have just missed it?

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to Herugrim123

Although the replies just say CS6 Photoshop does not use CUDA http://forums.adobe.com/message/4289204 , I would think that would apply to video as well.   It is my understanding that only certain video features make use of CUDA in PrPro and AfterEffects, and these features are probably not even in the simple video interface of PS.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points