Skip navigation
carol mcgann
Currently Being Moderated

How do I get my page to display correctly in IE?

Jan 3, 2013 5:08 PM

I am redesigning my template, and I have posted the current result here:

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/test5.html

Most of the CSS is in the document itself (I've left in the comments until I get done, sorry it's so long; DW put most of it there), but the CSS for the menu (the main problem) is here:

http://www.bikeraceinfo.com/menu4.css

The menu works fine in Opera, Firefox, and Chrome. Then there's IE (I'm testing it in 8). The menu is all spread out vertically (items too far apart), and the while the sub-menu shows up when you hover over the main title, it doesn't stick around long enough to choose a sub-item (unless you mouse really fast).

IE behaves enough differently than the other three that I feel there must be some single line of code that IE wants in order to render correctly.

Another thing that happens in all of them: when you get the mouse near the menu, all of the type on the page gets an underline, like it's linked to something. IE goes one further and puts a red box around the graphic in the sidebar.

Help! Thanks---

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 10:58 AM   in reply to carol mcgann

Your menu is not IE friendly.  Most menu systems use JavaScript and CSS hacks to mitigate the shortcomings in older, inferior browsers like IE6, 7, 8.

If you want a menu that works in IE8, look at jQuery Superfish examples.

http://users.tpg.com.au/j_birch/plugins/superfish/#examples

On Line #1 of your Template code, you have this which doesn't belong. Remove it.

<%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%>

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to carol mcgann

The DW built in scripting will do that, those specific to the DW generated scripts are  not an issue.

The missing end tags are a big issue though. None of your links in your menu have an end tag </a>, you are also missing a few </li>, that causes the rest of your page to basically become a link since the browser doesn't understand what you're trying to do. That is not part of any pre-made template I've ever seen in DW.

You also have <%@LANGUAGE="JAVASCRIPT" CODEPAGE="65001"%> at the beginning of your page, that needs to go completely. That gets added when you accidentally choose "ASP Javascript" when creating a new page rather than "HTML".

There is a meta tag outside the <head> area of your code, that needds to be moved between your head tags. You also forgot to self close the keywords and description meta by using /> instead of > (not a major issue, but due to doctype, should be fixed)

Because you're missing an ending </p> tag at about line 287 you'll get errors involving a lot of the remaining tags saying something to the effect of "canot go here, missing object..."

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points