Skip navigation
Sigmund Smith
Currently Being Moderated

How to Fix Video Quality Problems in Premiere Elements 10

Jan 3, 2013 7:40 PM

Tags: #frame #premiere #avchd #elements #canon #10 #issues #quality #grainy #rate #vixia

I am running Premiere Elementrs 10 and when I upload a file into the program from a camera, it appears grainy and verticle lines are pixelated when the video is viewed in the editor or after exporting the video from Premiere.  When I view the original video on a camera or using other software, however, it looks fine.  I am using a Canon Vixia hf r20 camera.  What preset would be the best to use with this camera (which is AVCHD and full HD).  Also, the video (in premiere) appears grainy and the frame rate is not as good as the original video.  Am I doing something wrong?   I just began having this problem recently and past videos were fine.  Also, the computer I am using is sufficiently powerful for the program and the video.  What should I do to make the video look better in the program?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 5:56 AM   in reply to Sigmund Smith

Sigmund, we were already covering this topic in your previous thread, but you never responded.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4955396#4955396

Please don't start up a new topic on the same subject, as it can be confusing keeping track of what we have and have not already discussed.

Have you set up your project using the settings for AVCHD Full 1920x1080 HD?

Did you use Premiere Elements' Video Importer (under Get Media/From Flip or AVCHD Camera) to get the video from the camcorder to your computer? (This is as opposed to putting the SD card in your card reader and using Windows Explorer or Finder to copy the video over.)

Before you assume that your computer is powerful enough to edit video, please provide information on your processor speed and RAM load. AVCHD, in particular, can require a lot more horsepower than Adobe's listed "minimums".

Finally, please tell us, per your other thread, where you're seeing the graininess and vertical lines? Is it on Premiere Elemenets' Monitor panel or on your output. If your output, which Share settings did you use?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 6:52 AM   in reply to Sigmund Smith

With the AVCHD Project Preset, your Canon footage should be almost 100% identical to the original footage.

Now, as for the "frame rate," AVCHD material is very CPU intensive to process and play back. What are the specs. of your CPU? I recommend a fast i7 as the minimum with AVCHD (or any H.264 footage), but some can get by with an i5, if they Render the Timeline, by hitting Enter/Return. Depending on your CPU, what you see might be as good as it gets, when editing, but the smoothness of playback should be perfect, with the Exported/Shared file. Just harder to judge the smoothness, if one has a weak CPU.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to Sigmund Smith

Sigmund, what happened between when it used to work and when it stopped working well?

Have you tried following the instructions in my post above?

And can you post a short sample to YouTube and post the link here so we can see the issues you're describing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to Sigmund Smith

Also, since it did work, and suddenly ceased, this article might be of use: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3787986#3787986

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to Sigmund Smith

What are the specs. from the Flip Video? MediaInfo should be able to tell you everything about those files.

This FAQ Entry covers some Flip Video, but there were some variations: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1986738#1986738

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points