Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Ae freezes with Mask/path

Jan 3, 2013 9:35 PM

I have Ae CS6 and am running 11.0.2.11

Mac OSX 10.6.8

I am having an issue when I attempt to take a mask shape and use it as a path for a null object to follow.

The problem is when I try to take the mask path and apply the position of the of the null object to follow the system freezes it hangs with the shape color and I have to force quit Ae.

The shape I am taking is coming from illusrator to create the path and it makes the mask fine but when I try to copy it to the null object it freezes.

I do have an older version of illustrator CS4 for the shape but I do not believe that would be an issue.

Has anyone elso had this issue with this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 2:15 AM   in reply to alphaae

What does the shape look like? Could be that it is producing flakey data when interpreted to keyframes because anchor points are to dense and cause multiple keyframes in the same place. Does the same procedure work with masks drawn within AE?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 6:15 PM   in reply to alphaae

I'd clean up the path. It's probably causing the problems. It would be easy enough just to put a black solid above this layer, set the blend mode to screen, (or a white layer set to multiply) then draw a new simple path for your particles to follow. The blend mode lets you see the underlying layer without problems.

Once the path is drawn set a single key frame for the path, copy the path, then create a new light. Open up the light's position property and paste. Use the light as the emitter in Particular. Setting the first vertex at your starting point and leaving the path open will make the path more predictable.

I grabbed your screenshot and in less than two minutes had this:

particular.jpg

Just noticed that you just wanted a null. There was a post concerning particular that I was reading earlier. Just replace the light with a null.. EZ as pie.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to alphaae

I think your project looks fine but that it takes way too long to resolve. Unless you are cutting to music the whole transition would work better if it was about 2 seconds. Folks visual attention span is only about 1/10 what it was just a few years ago. Look at the speed of graphics used in broadcast today.

As for the rounded corners, if your paths are not rounded then the bend around the corner may be an illusion. I'm not exactly sure how you generated the light streaks, but they could also be averaging the change in direction.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 9:55 PM   in reply to alphaae

Based on your example I'd simply have used the good old Vegas effect on multiple layers and not even bothered with particles... That way you could have used your masks without jumping hoops to convert them to motion paths.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to alphaae

Vegas is an Effect in AE that uses mask paths to create chase lights. It's very easys to use. All you need is a mask. Effects>Generate>Vegas

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points