Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge cs6 freezes when i select video files

Jan 3, 2013 8:34 PM

Was hoping someone could help me solve this problem

I just installed CS6 master collection however am having a problem with bridge

even though bridge displays thumbnails of my avi files, every time i click on an avi file to select it bridge hangs/freezes and i have to force quit

this also happens when i select all in a folder that has avi files or other video files in it

it even happens when i select a folder that has a video file in it..it just hangs and stops responding

i still have bridge cs5 installed and it is displaying all files in folders perfectly including video files

the avi files are from my camera therefore they are really all around 1-3mins long

i7

media stored on external hardrive firewire 8

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 4, 2013 2:27 AM   in reply to ddh10@bigpond.com

i still have bridge cs5 installed and it is displaying all files in folders perfectly including video files

If Bridge CS5 displays them correctly it might be preferences or cache related.

First restart Bridge CS6 holding down option key and from the menu choose reset preferences.

If this does not clear things select a folder with .avi files in it and from the menu tools / cache / choose Purge cache for folder.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 4, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to ddh10@bigpond.com

when i forced quit and restarted bridge it wouldnt even let me select the folder without freezing

There are a lot of Mac's with specification i7

Can you specify your Mac, amount of RAM and especially Graphic Card with amount of VRAM

See under the apple icon top left 'About this Mac' and then more info.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 4, 2013 3:43 PM   in reply to ddh10@bigpond.com

ATI Radeon HD 5750:

Chipset Model:          ATI Radeon HD 5750

VRAM (Total):          1024 MB

Thought it might be related to not meeting the minimum specs for VRAM but yours do, although both OSX 10.6.8 and 4 GB RAM are indeed the minimum so more always recommended

Forgot to ask about the size of your HD and the free space left (should be at least 15,5 GB according to specs for Master Collection).

Try this:

First quit all apps and run Apple Disk utility and choose check and repair disk permissions.

Then go to the user library (that is the library in your user account -home: your name- and not at root level)

Follow this path:

user (your name) / library / preferences. Inhere find and manual delete the Bridge plist file (com.adobe.bridge5.plist) and drag this file to the trash.

Then in same library go to the folder: caches / Adobe / Bridge CS6 / and inhere delete both the plug in file as well as the Cache folder (or place it outside the library as a back up if you have cached already a lot. If it does not work after all you can replace it in the same way.

All three deleted files will be replaced with new, empty and default files after restarting Bridge.

But also hold down option key while restarting bridge to (again) reset the preferences. Hope this works for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    4,001 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Jan 7, 2013 3:24 AM   in reply to ddh10@bigpond.com

the other theory i have is maybe it has something to do with quicktime 10 player ?

I'm afraid a crash report is above my knowledge. Tried a bit searching on Google but NSAutorelease seems deep down coding.

A search on my own system for DVCPro had several results all referring to Premiere, After Effects, media encoder, Encore and also Lightroom and Elements.

It might be due to your external disk (did you try to copy the .avi files to your iMac disk and see how that works) or even a wrong install of the master collection.

Quick Time 10 should not matter, I have MacOS 10.7.5 with QuickTime 10.1 and using the Cloud version of CS6 I have no problem to view and play .avi files from my Canon Powershot in Bridge CS6

If the files don's play on your internal HD also you should either find more technical assistance or bite the bullet and uninstall the master collection and run Adobe Cleaner Tool.

Then run Apple Disk utility to check and repair permissions and install the master collection again. Let this take its time and don't run other applications upon install.

Also consider a MacOs update to 10.7 or even 10.8 and if possible add more RAM. The Master Collection is a big tool that requires also some power

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points