Skip navigation
oldscotland
Currently Being Moderated

WHY DOES THIS HAPPEN?

Jan 3, 2013 10:27 PM

I WILL BRING AN ITEM(PICTURE/DRAWING) INTO ILLUSTRATOR CS FOR THE PURPOSE OF CREATING AN OUTLINE AND SAVING IT FOR USE IN A SIGN PROGRAM.  SOMETIMES WHEN I CLICK "VIEW" AND "OUTLINE", I WILL GET A GREAT OUTLINE THAT I CAN SAVE AND USE.  OTHERTIMES WHEN I CLICK "VIEW" AND "OUTLINE". THE ENTIRE PICTORE OR DRAWING WILL JUST DISAPPEAR INSTEAD OF GIVING ME AN OUTLINE.  CAN RETRIEVE  THE ORIGINAL PICTURE OR DRAWING BY PRESSING CENTRAL PLUS Y BUT STILL CAN'T GET THE NEEDED OUTLINE. HAVE TRIED ABOUT EVERY CONCEIVABLE   IMPORT FILE CATAGORY  (DXF, EPS, BMP, ETC) WITH THE SAME RESULTS

ANY THOUGHTS ON WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS PROBLEM.  MOST LIKELY IT IS BECAUSE OF SOMETHING I AM NOT DOING DUE TO MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE PERTAINING TO THIS PROGRAM

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 12:47 AM   in reply to oldscotland

outline is a view mode that shows just your vectors without any appearance applied to them. if you import a jpeg, say, and show outlines, it will disappear (or just show the bounding box) because the only vectors relating to it are those of the bounding box. illustrator doesn't see pixels.

if you open an eps or a pdf it might well contain vectors, however, and outline will show these.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 1:24 AM   in reply to dougofakkad

View > Outline does nothing, absolutely nothing, to the file or artwork. All that menu item does is change what you see. It does not, never has, and probably never will, alter any artwork.

If you see paths in Outline Mode, it is because the artwork contains paths (vector). If you do not see paths in Outline Mode it's because you are most likely looking at a raster (pixel) image. An an example, you will probably see paths in Outline Mode for DXF, EPS, PDF, AI,  files. You will never see paths for BMP, JPG, PNG, PSD, TIF files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to oldscotland

It's not necessary to use all caps in your question, it makes it sound like you're shouting.

To make an outline for a CAD device do this:

Go to window> Layer, click on the upper right corner of the Layers panel to see the pull-out menu and choose New Layer, call it "CutContour".

Go to window> Swatches, create new swatch, call it "Dieline" make it a SPOT color.

Select the pen tool and outline your object with a 1pt. stroke of the dieline color, turn off the original layer. Your object might need to bleed beyond the dieline. Save as PDF and/or .eps and import into your CAD device.

Your CAD table might have specific requirements for the name of the spot color and also crop or registration marks. This is one basic method to make an outline.

CAD.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 5:39 AM   in reply to oldscotland

I WILL BRING AN ITEM(PICTURE/DRAWING) INTO ILLUSTRATOR CS FOR THE PURPOSE OF CREATING AN OUTLINE...FOR USE IN A SIGN PROGRAM.

LET ME GUESS: YOU'RE AUTOTRACING THE IMPORTED IMAGE, RIGHT? (USUALLY A SUB-STANDARD PRACTICE, BY THE WAY.)

SOMETIMES WHEN I CLICK "VIEW" AND "OUTLINE", I WILL GET A GREAT OUTLINE THAT I CAN SAVE AND USE. OTHERTIMES... THE ENTIRE PICTORE OR DRAWING WILL JUST DISAPPEAR...

IF YOU HAVE AUTOTRACED THE IMAGE, BUT HAVE NOT EXPANDED THE AUTOTRACE RESULTS, THE AUTOTRACE IS STILL CONSIDERED IN A "LIVE" STATE--MEANING ITS SETTINGS CAN STILL BE ADJUSTED. AUTOTRACE RESULTS DO NOT DISPLAY IN OUTLINE MODE WHEN THEY ARE STILL "LIVE." EXPAND THE AUTOTRACE AND THE PATHS WILL BE VISIBLE IN OUTLINE MODE.

SEE HOW ANNOYING IT IS TO HAVE TO READ ALL CAPS?

JET

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points