Skip navigation
Blacknest
Currently Being Moderated

How do I place cursor manually during action?

Jan 4, 2013 2:35 AM

I have a Photoshop action that, amongst other things, performs various fill-type operations on parts of an image. I want to run the action on a number different inages, but I need to select different parts depending on the image. Is there a way that I can manully position the cursor (i.e pick the correct area to process) while running the action?  Or do I have to break the action up into shorter actions and do the fills manually in between?

CS6 Win7 64bit

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to Blacknest

Or do I have to break the action up into shorter actions and do the fills manually in between?

Actions can have stops, when hitting play after one the Action resumes at that step. (see the fly-out menu’s »Insert Stop«)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 4:49 AM   in reply to Blacknest

(magic eraser, fill, magic wand etc)

Magic Wand is no Fill-operation but creates or edits a Selection.

Just drop the Selection step out of the Action and insert a Stop instead.

Then you can make the Selection, resume the Action and have it do whatever with the Selection.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to Blacknest

Are you not familiar with Tool Presets?

Edit: The settings for a Tool can be stored as Tool Presets and those can be selected in an Action.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to Blacknest

You’re welcome.

Please keep in mind that if you share the Actions you need to migrate the Presets to the other machines, too.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 7:08 AM   in reply to Blacknest

I tried with Presets for the Eyedropper Tool – and it failed, too, because the selection of the Tool itself does not record.

So it gets a bit involved; the work-around that comes to my mind is using the ScriptingListener.plugin to record the JavaScript-code for selecting the Tool and saving a jsx-file from ESTK to the Presets/Scripts-folder and use »Insert Menu Item« to include it in the Action.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points