Skip navigation
Austentatious
Currently Being Moderated

Problem background image

Jan 4, 2013 3:04 AM

Tags: #background #image #html #dreamweaver

Hi all,

I'm trying to put the image as a background image for just the home page but it only shows an inch at the sides.

I tried putting it as you see at the link in the contents part in css but two problems arise: it doesn't spread accros the whole page and it shows on every page not just the home page.

http://www.austentatiousproductions.com/

EDIT: Sorry forgot to mention DW cs5

Message was edited by: Austentatious

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to Austentatious

The problem appears to be a background-color in the container div of your page. That black background will appear over the top of any background-image placed in your <body> element. If you remove background-color from the container div class completely, a background-image added to the <body> will show through.

On a personal note: I absolutely despise autoplay video on any website, especially video I cannot turn off/pause because the controls have been taken away. That opinion is not the exception. You will alienate viewers if you do not at least give them the opportunity to pause the video. I didn't realize my speakers were turned up as loud as they were and was a bit startled by the video when it finally kicked in after taking some time to load (it was in a background browser window as I was typing this).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to Austentatious

Hi,

in addition to Jon's hint I tried to insert your background image into your source code in my German DW:

drAus.JPG

As you can see I worked with "Wiederholen" > translated tp "repeat" (repeat-x).

Hans-Günter

P.S.

I support Jon's opinion which concerns videos.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 10:29 AM   in reply to Austentatious

Hi Austentatious,

fine, but to get a better performance which allows the interaction to your visitors,  I recommend to use FLV files. DW adds automatically "Skin" adds. These are similar to the instructions of tape recorders:

drMC.JPG

Good luck!

Hans-Günter

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to Austentatious

You realize Flash video doesn't work on the world's most popular web devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Androids, etc...) right?

You might want to give some thought to converting FLV to M4V and using an HTML5 video player.  You'll reach a much wider target audience this way.

http://www.pickleplayer.com/

Nancy O.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points