Skip navigation
artlambi
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop updated to 13.0.3 on Retina Macbook Pro but no Retina interface

Jan 4, 2013 2:42 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs6 #retina #macbook_pro_retina #13.0.3

Dear PS community,

I installed CS6 Design Standard (perpetual license) on my Retina 15 inch Macbook Pro (OS X 10.8.2) today.

• Ran a couple of updates after the installation but no retina update for AI or PS among them.
  • After a quick google search I read I had to manually update the Application Manager. Done that.
  • Finds update for AI & PS. AI is now v. 16.0.3 and retina, PS is now v. 13.0.3 but NOT retina.
  • Afterwards I downloaded the 13.0.3 patch but this didn't change anything.
  • I uninstalled PS (+ removed preferences) with the Adobe Uninstaller.
  • Reinstalled it and ran al updates, Application Manager finds 13.0.3 update again, runs the update and it is still not retina.

It blows my mind how many steps, google searches, manual updates, patches it takes to update AI & PS "properly" and apparently it still does not work for PS.

Any advice ?

--

Arthur

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 3:10 AM   in reply to artlambi

Who claimed that Photoshop CS6 (13.0.3) with perpetual license should be Retina Display-ready?

Is that not a cloud license (13.1.3) exclusive?

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2012/12/new-exclusive-photoshop -features-for-creative-cloud-members.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 3:19 AM   in reply to artlambi

Sorry, I had missed that.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 4, 2013 5:15 AM   in reply to artlambi

Please post a screenshot of what you see in Photoshop.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 4, 2013 5:25 AM   in reply to artlambi

Thank you.  That's definitely pixel-doubling mode, while I have seen others' displays at higher resolution.

Have you tried clearing all of Photoshop's preferences to defaults?  I see that you have configured away from the dark themed interface.  Not that you shouldn't be able to use it that way - I'm just thinking that maybe the generation of default preferences might correct the issue.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 4, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to artlambi

Hi Art, I'm sorry I should have been more explicit...

Quit Photoshop, then when starting it again, immediately press and hold the Command, Option, and Shift keys simultaneously.  If you get the keys down quickly enough after starting the application - and you have to be very quick - it will prompt you to confirm deletion of the current preferences.  Doing so will lead to the generation of a default set.

As an alternative, deleting the Adobe Photoshop CS6 Prefs.psp file in the location listed on this page should accomplish the same things:

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-ph otoshop.html

Looking over that list made me think of another thing, though...  It's possible just changing or resetting the workspace might help.  That might be a less intrusive thing to try before resetting the main preferences.  Select another workspace using the control that currently says "Essentials" at the upper-right corner.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 4, 2013 5:48 AM   in reply to artlambi

Also, it wouldn't hurt to ensure the update has been applied properly by choosing Help - About Photoshop and making sure it shows 13.0.3.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Jan 4, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to artlambi

I'm sorry, I've run out of ideas how to prod it into working as it should.  I don't have a Retina-equipped Mac myself, but I have definitely seen screenshots with non-pixel-doubled displays sporting fully-formed characters.  Without understanding the root cause of why it's not responding on your system it's all guesswork, but I thought perhaps we could trigger the change.

Only other thing I can think of is to choose Help - System Info, copy all the text and paste it into a post here (you may want to redact the serial number data).  Perhaps someone can recognize something amiss in the display details.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to artlambi

That means that there is something in the Apple preferences that is affecting how applications detect Retina displays (since you cleared the Photoshop prefs, all that's left in your account are the Apple prefs (well, and prefs for other apps that aren't involved)).

That's.... interesting.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points