Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

drawing line from existing one without joining

Jan 4, 2013 5:16 AM

Tags: #join_endpoints

How can I draw a line from the endpoint of an existing line (snap to grid is on), without the lines being joined?  Joining causes two problems for me:

1. The arrowhead at the end of the existing line moves to the end of the joined line, whereas I want the arrowhead in the middle of the combined line.

2. Even without entering isolation mode the new line gets joined to a line which belong to a group, thus becoming part of that group as well. This defies the use of grouping to create logically connected units.

TIA

Steven

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to stevenvh504

You can't turn off the auto-joining behavior.

The keyboard short to do what you want is a kludgey workaround:

1. Pen tool: Mousedown a distance greater than the pick distance away from the pre-existing endPoint (i.e.; mousedown away from where you actually want to begin the new path).
    2. Press and hold the Spacebar.
    3. Drag to where you want the anchorPoint to be.
    4. MouseUp.
    5. Release the Spacebar.

Worst-of-class Bezier drawing interface. The Pen Tool has absolutely no business affecting pre-existing unselected paths by default. The Pen Tool is not a selection tool, and it violates the entire meaning of something's being selected.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to JETalmage

JETalmage wrote:

Worst-of-class Bezier drawing interface. The Pen Tool has absolutely no business affecting pre-existing unselected paths by default. The Pen Tool is not a selection tool, and it violates the entire meaning of something's being selected.

JET

while I agree in principle, on practice when clicking on end points with the pen tool most of the time I do want the paths to join but a lot of other times I do not. So, the best practical solution at least for me would be just holding the Spacebar when clicking on an end point to prevent joining without the need to click away and then drag in place. And they should make this an option in the Preferences for those who want to hold Spacebar only when joining.

The bigger problem is that with overlapping points and edges, Illustrator uses the stacking order and not the selected object when auto joining or adding points which is actually not practical in any case. For example if there are several lines starting at the same point, not the selected but the topmost line will be joined and with overlapping edges adding a point is impossible if the selected edge is not on the top.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to emil emil

So, the best practical solution at least for me would be just holding the Spacebar when clicking on an end point to prevent joining without the need to click away and then drag in place.

If you have the Pen tool selected, and press the spacebar before mousedown, pressing the spacebar invokes the Hand tool.

If you have the Pen tool selected, and mousedown at the endpoint of a pre-existing path, you get the infernal auto-join behavior.

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to JETalmage

Yes, currently this is how it works.

What I described is how I wish it would work - I don't mind pressing spacebar after mousedown with the pen tool on an endpoint. As a feedback, when mouse down on an end point with the pen, they could keep the little circle indicating eventual auto-join being white when joining or black when not joining so, that you can still change your mind while mousedown and press or not the spacebar when releasing the mouse.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points