Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CS4: My animated gif isn't playing right in flash

Jan 4, 2013 10:28 AM

Tags: #cs4 #photoshop #swf #captivate #flash_professional #animation #flash_cs4 #gif #.gif_format #gif_animation

Thank you so much for your help.

I made an animated gif in Photoshop CS4 and opened it in Flash CS4, but for some reason the gif won't play without interruption. I opened and played it without a problem several times in Internet Explorer and Safari, but when I open it in Flash or Captivate it won't play so smoothely. It goes blank for a few seconds, then reappears, then goes blank and only shows parts of the graphic - as if it's reloading or something. The timeline in Flash shows black dots whenever it pauses. here is a screen shot:

animated gif problem.png

See those black dots in the timeline? I will insert a picture of what happens on one of those black dots:

animated gif problem 2.png

It's the same animation, but only shows a little of the graphic. Like I said, it plays fine when I open it with an internet browser, or photoshop, but not in Flash or Captivate.

Thanks so much for helping me with this!

Nat

Replies
  • kglad
    72,260 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to Nalexander

the black dots are keyframes with on-stage content.  ie, those are frames where your graphic probably changes.  the frames without black dots are places where your animation pauses (very briefly between frame 82 and 85, for example, and longer pauses after frames 94 and 162.

if you don't want some (or all) those pauses, remove some (or all) of the non-keyframes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 6:19 AM   in reply to Nalexander

When you exported from Photoshop did you use LZW compression on the GIF? If so can you try disabling LZW compression and reimporting to see if your issue goes away? What you depict there looks like updated frames only contain the part of the picture that's changing, which is compression. GIF isn't compressed by nature and each frame should be a whole picture, unless compressed. I'm not certain LZW would even perform spatinal compression but it's worth a shot to see if it does.

Aside that have you tried using Import to Library, then dragging the image from the library into the timeline?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points