Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

CS3 InDesign: How do I make a framework?

Jan 4, 2013 11:33 AM

How do I make a framework?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 11:40 AM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Can you be a bit more specific?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 11:43 AM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

I'm assuming English isn't your first language and unfortunately it's my only one so I really don't know what you're talking about.

Perhaps a picture would help?

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 12:01 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

If the framework is supposed to be a grid, and the boxes in the grid will contain text, you probably want to create a table.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Framework: as in (DPS) Digital Publishing and html framework?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

It is an English word but it's a very general term to describe

something. Sort of like an outline or table of contents.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 1:20 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

A mock-up example would reduce the amount of guesswork. Do you mean a grid or wireframe?

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

Niels Graverholt wrote:

I give up. Years ago, my English teacher told us that "framework" is an English word, but perhaps it has been removed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Wireframe?

Your English is obviously fine, Niels - problems with mutual comprehension are usually far worse with North American monolinguals. In those cases we also ask for those people to use images, or longer descriptions, so we know what is being requested.

The term "framework" (which I assure you is still used in English!) covers a lot of territory.

Maybe you simply want to add a 6mm stroke around a 130mm x 100mm frame?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

aha!

Well, a picture is supposedly worth a thousand words, so here's 2,000 for you:

1.png

2.png

I made a rectangle with 6mm width to visually estimate the stroke weight. It's really easy to get InDesign to show object dimensions in millimeters, but I couldn't figure out how to specify stroke weight in millimeters in a reasonable amount of time. So 17 points is my close-enough guess as to how to specify a 6mm stroke.

That picture of two squares right underneath the tab of the "Swatches" panel will let you select whether you're choosing a color for the frame edge (stroke) or the inside of the frame (fill).

Any questions?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to Joel Cherney

Joel Cherney wrote:

It's really easy to get InDesign to show object dimensions in millimeters, but I couldn't figure out how to specify stroke weight in millimeters in a reasonable amount of time.

Like most fields that require units, stroke weight has a default, points, that is assumed if no unit is entered, but will accept (and convert to points) any value you enter along with the appropriate units, so to get a 6 mm stroke weight you just type 6mm in the field.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 2:58 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

Either the Stroke, Swatches or Color panel will work. Applying a stroke weight will automatically use the default stroke color. Assigning a stroke color will automatically assign a 1 pt stroke weight to any frame that has a stroke weight value of 0.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 3:04 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

First, draw your rectangular frame. I'd use the Rectangle tool shown in the first screenshot. You can draw it - or, if you just choose the Rectangle tool and click once on the page, you'll get that dialog box in my first screenshot where you can tell it to draw a rectangle with your preferred dimensions.

Then, select that rectangle with the Selection tool (the black pointer). You can then open up the Stroke panel (Window -> Stroke) and input your stroke weight.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to Niels Graverholt

There are two overlapping proxies in the upper left corner of the panel, one solid and one that is just an outline of the square. When the solid square is in front of the outline sqaure any color you choose will affect the frame fill. When the outline is in front the color will affect the stroke.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points