Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FW CS6 Error message: An error occurred. This command requires an active document.

Jan 4, 2013 11:38 AM

Tags: #error #extensions #cs6 #fireworks_cs6 #error_messages

Hi,

I've been seeing the following message while saving active documents recently: An error occurred. This command requires an active document. My document does indeed save.

I'm wondering if a recently-installed (and much-loved) extension could be the cause?

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks!

--Lucija

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to lucijakordic2.0

It's very much the kind of alert you'll see if you run a command with no open document.

Any idea which extension might be triggering it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 1:18 PM   in reply to lucijakordic2.0

So it's a recent problem, eh? I'd try the usual: Quit the application, see if that helps. Quit all other applications, see if that helps. Shut down and restart your computer, see if that helps.

If you really suspect the extension, you can easily uninstall it (and reinstall it later). Once you've ruled out a number of possibilities—or found a direct correlation with the extension—then it may be time to contact the developer about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to lucijakordic2.0

As far as similar problems, I recently opened Fireworks 8 to test the File Management button (the Put command in particular) and found that it triggered an alert message normally produced by Aaron Beall's "Deform to Path" command:

Deform to Path alert triggered by Put.png

I tried closing the Path panel, and the alert message was still triggered. (I do have that command also available within the Commands menu, but I'm not sure what was going on there; however, since I don't use Fireworks 8 much anymore and never use the Put command, I decided to leave it alone.)

Currently, I use Fireworks CS6. Several months ago, I noticed a "migrating panel" bug, where panels within the default configuration had been mysteriously swapped for one another: The Color Palette panel had been replaced by Lorem Ipsum, while the Path panel had gone missing, replaced by the Color Palette panel—bizarre behavior, to say the least. I tried reselecting a default Workspace (as well as a saved one), but it had no effect on the problem. I still haven't taken the time to diagnose and fix the issue, but I suppose it might have somehow been triggered by the Lorem Ipsum panel, which was a custom installation.

migrating panels.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 9:24 PM   in reply to groove25

Regarding my "migrating panel" bug, I tried uninstalling the suspected culprit—a LoremIpsum panel—but to no effect.

Then I tried some other ideas: Removing my Workspace Layouts and the Command Panels in my user library Application Support folder. Again, no effect. I used the following Adobe Help link to remind myself of what Adobe officially recommends when restoring defaults in Fireworks:

http://helpx.adobe.com/fireworks/kb/restore-preferences-fireworks-cs5. html

I followed these instructions, and the problem was fixed upon restart. The thing is, I didn't really want to lose all my user Configuration items and all my Preferences, so I restored these folders to their previous state and started removing items individually again. I thought sure it would be the Panel Prefs or the Cache, but these had no effect. Ultimately, it proved to be the Preferences file: ~/Library/Preferences/Adobe Fireworks CS6/en/Fireworks CS6 Preferences.

This, too, is a file that contains a lot of information that I'd rather not lose—not all of it, anyway. So I decided to try opening up both the old and new versions of the file in TextWrangler and doing a line-by-line difference comparison. I found a chunk called "SwfPanelMap" that consists of a series of "keys" (5-digit numbers) and "strings" (panel names). I replaced this section of my Preferences file with the corresponding section from the default Preferences.

This seemed to clear up the problem!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points