Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Pro CS6 opens off screen

Jan 4, 2013 2:26 PM

Tags: #premiere-pro

I am running Premier Pro CS6 under Windows 7 64bit with two monitors on a single graphics card.

The application had been opening correctly but it now opens off the bottom of the main screen with only the top 1/8 of the screen visible. If I try to click or set focus to the application it just blinks, the window cannot be moved. If the windows is clicked and then I press Enter on the keyboard it closes. There are no messages or dialogs shown on either screen.

Any thoughts on why this might be happening would be greatly appreciated.

Simon

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 4, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to Slogicus

Simon,

Have you tried Resetting the Workspace (if you can get to the Window menu in the Toolbar)?

Next, I would reset the Preferences file when launching.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 4, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to Slogicus

How do I reset the preferences file?

When starting Premiere Hold Shift+Alt until welcome screen.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to Slogicus

And hitting the enlarge button (left of the cross in the right hand top corner)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to Slogicus

Instead of opening PP first, click on a project directly.  This will bypass the Welcome screen, which is off screen and stealing focus, and allow you to maximize the frame again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Clever thinking Jim.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 3:37 PM   in reply to Slogicus

How exactly did you try opening a project?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to Slogicus

OK.

Did you see the same thing as in the posted image, all gray?  Or could you see the tops of panes peeking through in the little bit that was visible?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to Slogicus

And this happens after clicking on a project file in Windows Explorer, starting with PP closed?

Have you tried clicking on a different project file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to Slogicus

OK, something definitely got smurfed with your install.  Time to remove it and reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 9:37 AM   in reply to Slogicus

Weird, man.

Did you run the cleanup script when you uninstalled?

https://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Slogicus

Click on the Premiere Pro Window and then click Alt+Spacebar.  Press the M key for Move (or select Move with the mouse), then use the arrow keys to move the window.  If there's a modal dialog somewhere preventing the main Pr window from moving, it's possible that using the arrow keys will bring that dialog into view and you can find out what's going on.

If that doesn't work, then I would do a full system scan with the free version of Malwarebytes, in addition to whatever anti-virus you may have installed on your system.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 9:51 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

==========

I am running Premier Pro CS6 under Windows 7 64bit with two monitors on a single graphics card.

==========

What graphics card ? Nvidia with an Nvidia control panel you can access ??

Is it 2 DVI outputs on the graphics card plugged into 2 DVI ports on your monitors ?

You have a couple options using 2 monitors and should be able to control that using the Nvidia control panel.

One thing to look into is what the max resolution of your monitor is ... both of them... make a note of the max res on them...they might be different if not the same exact model of monitor. You dont want to exceed the max res the monitor is capable of displaying.

I would try using ONE monitor for the solution of your current problem and determine if it's your graphics card and monitor settings FIRST.. before worrying more about whether the program Adobe Prem Pro has anything to do with your display issue.

Use one monitor and adjust settings in your NVidia control panel to use ONE monitor ( unplug the 2nd one for now when everything is powered down ( unplugged from wall ) ). Get one monitor working Okay and then add the 2nd monitor and choose the correct resolution and 'method' ( clone etc )... and see how it works out ...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to Slogicus

I'm thinking that your problem is not with the program or your subscription or virus .. but that it's just your use of 2 monitors and how you've configured that with different monitors. I still feel you should try to get your nvidia card configuration and one monitor working properly before going into other avenues of troubleshooting. You don't lose anything by troubleshooting with one monitor in the long run. You can always ( once problem is solved ) just add another monitor. So I would stick with one monitor and make sure all is happy with your one monitor at least, before going off into other areas. I'm sure there are very smart people here with CS6 and the time to help you with making sure your ONE monitor setup is correct for the resolution MONITOR you are using.

I personally have gone through some monitor and graphic card driver HELL in the past and right now I only have one monitor and it's 1440 x 900 so I don't feel I can personally help you with the Nvidia settings you need for one monitor at this point. I'm sure someone else will help you with that part of the problem soon... at least eliminate it as a possible contributor to your problem if nothing else.

Good luck !

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to Slogicus

I use maya and other stuff too, and have had 2 monitors before but they were the same ( same brand, same max resolution etc ) on an Nvidia graphics card. What I'm seeing with your screenshot might be an effort to " tile " the stuff ( I know it sounds weird but it looks like it to me ). I dont know what graphics card you're using and I am sorry but I dont have cs6, cuda, and 2 monitors now.. so I think someone else here would be better to help you with at least dealing with this aspect.

The way maya dealt with 2 monitors was slightly different than the way PPro did.. I could grab 'windows' off PPro ( timeline, effects etc ) and drag to 2nd monitor and do my workspace that way, then save that workspace etc. Maya was more like putting 'separate' menu items on the 2nd monitor...like " attributes, shading etc " .. know what I mean ???  Is different.

So get stuff working with one monitor is a suggestion I'm making only because it eliminates ONE variable in a problem... kinda like a controlled experiment.. you try to limit variables and come up with the solution that way ??  Sorry, but that's how I see this one of yours.

ps.

your screenshot is different than my 2 monitor screenshots used to be.. .my 2 monitor screenshots used to be a combination of both screens..like way wide ( not 16:9 but wider ).. like a combination of the 2 screens... that's another reason I think something is whacky with the monitor thing. Maybe other people have different views on this ??

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to Slogicus

I'm running all sorts of IDEs and other applications and they are all behaving normally - except for Premiere Pro!

That's usually not a good idea.  An edit rig should be for editing only.  Perform other tasks on a separate computer.  The reason is other programs sometimes do interfere with Adobe software.

My next suggestions was going to do a full wipe and reinstall of everything from the OS up.  Hearing the above only convinces me further of that idea.  Only this time around, don't install anything except the Adobe suite.  Once that's working, you can install other software (but ideally only what you need for editing).

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 3:05 PM   in reply to Slogicus

Have you checked whats going on in Task Manager / Process / Applications etc?

What are the Nvidia Settings doing? Screen Grab maybe of the various pages and settings.

Is Aero running?

Do you have separate controls on your Monitor?

What graphics card is it?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2013 5:37 PM   in reply to shooternz

======

The application had been opening correctly but it now opens off the bottom of the main screen with only the top 1/8 of the....

=======

Can you go back to a restore point to when it was working before ? Sometimes this sort of thing ( was working, now don't ) is cause something changed ( new driver installed or something ? )..

I hate graphics problems as they are difficult to fix sometimes. I think the last time I had probs it was cause my card partially died on me and it took forever to figure that out cause I did something dumb like ran 'fraps' or something and immediately afterwards got graphics problem, so I blamed fraps at first...Had to open in safe mode, go to VGA display and pull card, re-insert card so OS would recognize 'new hardware' ...all that junk... and in the end it was the card that was bad.. hate hate hate graphics problems...

I'm saying 'graphics problems' cause it is in fact what's wrong with your progam..its not being displayed properly.. whatever the cause..its a graphics issue in that sense...

Let us know what card it is and more info like what shooternz was asking...and good luck..

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to Slogicus

I have had this happen to me. I right clicked the windows taskbar and selected "Cascade windows". I guess "Show windows side by side" or "Show windows stacked" would have worked as well. Have you tried that?

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to Slogicus

That's after clicking on a project file directly?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to Slogicus

Something is clearly messed up with your system.  If a reinstall hasn't solved it, you may have no choice but a complete system wipe.  Or like you say, use PP on another system.  But if you're willing to do that, I still think it's better to wipe this system and reinstall only those programs you need for production.  Do the other stuff on the other system.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 17, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to Slogicus

I'd recommend against partitioning.

I'd also recommend a minimum of three internal drives for an edit system.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points