Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Panasonic HC-X900 and Adobe Premiere Elements 11

Jan 4, 2013 10:16 PM

Hi,

Anyone have experience working with Panasonic HC-X900 and Adobe Premiere Elements 11, on a MacBook?

I'm trying to find the best configurations so that I can make an HD movie but no matter what I do, the quality is always a little fuzzy.

I'm a newbie, so please go easy  :0)

Thanks!!!

Vin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to Vidis3

That camcorder is an AVCHD camcorder and you should be able to edit it in Premiere Elements 11 (assuming you shot in HA or HG mode). 

Are you shooting in 60i or 60p? When you go to Edit/Project Settings, what settings does it show? In Expert mode, is there a yellow line above the clips on your timeline?

The biggest challenge may be that your computer isn't fast enough to edit AVCHD footage. MacBooks are designed for portability, not power. A MacBook Pro would have no problems. But MacBooks are generally underpowered for high-end work.

Which version of OSX do you have? How fast is your processor and how much RAM do you have?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 6:21 AM   in reply to Vidis3

Thank you. You are at the lower end of he requirements for editing high-def video.

When you answer the rest of my questions, we may be better able to help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 1:53 PM   in reply to Vidis3

If there is a yellow line above your clips when you add them to your timeline, your project is not set up properly to work with this type of video.

Is a clip from this video the first clip on your timeline? If you go to Edit/Project Settings, which settings are displayed?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 3:10 PM   in reply to Vidis3

Your project is clearly not set up for 60p.

Start a new project and, on the New Project panel, click Settings and then select the setting for Full AVCHD 1920x1080p60. Then, back at the New Project panel, check the option to Force Settings on Project.

If you are still getting yellow lines above your video clips when you add 1920x1080 60p footage to your timeline, then something isn't right somewhere. Are you absolutely sure you are shooting 1920x1080 60p and that you're using Premiere Elements' Add Media/From Flip or Camera to open the Video Importer in order to get the video from the camcorder to your computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to Vidis3

That may be as good as you'll get out of your hardware, Vidis. If you've rendered your video or, even better, if you're not seeing yellow lines above your clips, you're operating at maximum efficiency.

If that's too sluggish, you may want to start shooting in 60i rather than 60p. It takes a lot less computer power, and the results are virtually indistinguishable -- especially if you plan to output your video like a DVD or a video for YouTube or a web site, in which case your results will be identical.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 4:57 AM   in reply to Vidis3

Great news, vidi!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to Vidis3

PPro and Premiere Elements are 'non-destructive' editors... meaning they do not change your original video

You do your work on the timeline... and when you share to a new file, only what you want in the output is put in the output

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2013 2:54 PM   in reply to Vidis3

There are basically two simple ways to do what you describe, and neither involves outputting, until all editing has been done.

John's method of using the Source Monitor to Trim the Clip, by setting the In & Out Points. * Then, when those In & Out Points have been set, one would just drag the Instance of that Trimmed Clip to the Timeline.

The next is to drag the Clips, in order, to the Timeline, and then click+drag on the Head, or Tail of a Clip, to shorten it. That is also setting the In & Out Points, just in the Timeline, rather than using the Source Monitor.

The choice is yours. Depending on the exact Project and the Assets, I might use one, or the other.

Good luck,

Hunt

* Note: one can have any number of Instances of a Clip. They could be identical, or they could have different In & Out Points.

PS - As John T. points out, the actual original Clip has NOT be altered in any way. All one has done by setting those In & Out Points is to tell PrE, that when it is directed to output a Video, it will gather the data from the original Clip, between those In & Out Points. They are but instructions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points