Skip navigation
AutoApp_Jords
Currently Being Moderated

Zoom Hotkey? (Read: Hotkey for Zoom button :D )

Jan 4, 2013 11:56 PM

Tags: #zoom

Hi friends, family, dudes, dudettes,

Simple question today that has got me all sorts of :/'d... is there a hotkey available for the zoom button? Please see the attached image:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 12.40.27 AM.png (Green button is zoom button)

I would go into a long ramble about how I have tried everything from scouring through the Keyboard Shortcuts lists to trying to make a Automator script to do this action, but alas, I have come to no avail.

Fried shrimp to whomever throws me a bone here.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_f3fTVkavMVg/SXc0pkH-CQI/AAAAAAAAA2g/zofP4s_jQg0/s400/dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 12:50 AM   in reply to AutoApp_Jords

My apologies if I'm misunderstanding the question. There are a number of zoom shortcuts available in the View menu, particularly under View > Magnification. Then there are the View modes at the bottom of the Toolbar: Standard Screen, Full Screen with Menus, and Full Screen—which can be toggled with the letter "F".

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to AutoApp_Jords

Wow, thanks for this explanation.

I actually thought you were using Windows at first, because I didn't recognize the term "hotkey" or the green "zoom" button—mine's a steely blue-grey (an Appearance option that tries to minimize color in the interface, which I'd long since forgotten about). With that in mind, I was going to suggest that this might be a function of the operating system, and ask how is it handled in the other applications—but you've already answered that.

I can see where searching on "zoom" might lead to blind alleys. In my mind, that button's not a "zoom" button, but you're correct in your terminology. I did a Google search for "Mac document window buttons" and came up with some terms like "maximize" and "minimize", which is how I think of it.

Andy Clarke occasionally writes good posts on the subject of Fireworks; in one that I read not long ago, he mentioned that Fireworks is still written using the Carbon framework, not Cocoa—which I guess is the foundation of OSX. You can't offer a full breadth of contemporary features specifically related to an operating system, if you don't update to the framework used by the operating system. It'd be like an iOS developer steadfastly sticking to iOSv2 or something. Anyway, I can't be sure, but this could be why you don't see a command/shortcut for this. Take that speculation for what it's worth, I guess.

Would Window > Use Application Frame be any benefit to you?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 4:48 PM   in reply to AutoApp_Jords

Yeah, if you can create an Automator script, you could access it from Fireworks > Services. I have a script called Clear Clipboard, but it's been long enough that I don't remember how it was created, etc. I don't know if you can assign a shortcut or hotkey to a script in that location, though; if it were possible, I think it might have to happen at the operating system level.

You may also be able to find an AppleScript for it online, as it might be a simple command.

Do any of the Adobe apps offer this feature?

This was a good review for me, as I'd pretty much forgotton about Fireworks' View modes. In addition, I hadn't realized that one can use an Application Frame with a floating window to provide another way to toggle quickly between a document-window-with-panels view and a full-screen view via the "zoom" button. (Without the Application Frame, an extra step of hiding the panels is required.) Incidentally, I'm not sure I've ever seen a Fireworks screen without panels surrounding it in Standard view mode, as in your screenshots: Is that how you regularly work? (I suppose using a second monitor?)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 1:37 AM   in reply to groove25

Hey, it is possible to add a keyboard shortcut to a Service on the Mac OS:

http://lifehacker.com/343328/create-a-keyboard-shortcut-for-any-menu-a ction-in-any-program

Also, I don't know if this works or not, but here's one person's AppleScript for triggering the "zoom" button:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20051227001809626

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 12:45 PM   in reply to AutoApp_Jords

I tried some of the same scripts (though not the one from DaringFireball.net) and a few shorter ones—and also tried substituting the actual name of the application, just to be very specific, but didn't have any better luck.

Incidentally, I knew about the use of the Tab key to hide panels, but have typically used it in a sequence like this: 1) Hide panels, 2) Zoom/maximize window. In other words, it's never occurred to me to use a maximized window as a "base" view, and then hide and show panels. But I like how it emphasizes the work and not the tools. In fact, I've decided to finally switch to Iconic Mode for my workspace; I'd been sticking with Expanded Mode as a holdover from CS2 days.

Something cool I just discovered about hidden panels and working in Full Screen views is that moving one's cursor to the edge of the screen will reveal the hidden panels temporarily. And, of course, you can use the Tab key in these views as well—in fact, I think the only thing you lose in Full Screen views is the title bar and document tabs.

Anyway, I was wondering if a saved Workspace might include the "zoom" state of the document window—but it doesn't seem to, unfortunately. Otherwise, if there were a way to tap into the document window size via the Fireworks DOM, then you could create a command to handle this and assign it a shortcut, but I'm not finding an option for that either.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 3:19 PM   in reply to groove25

Actually, the AppleScript approach may be do-able after all: The key is in realizing that the document window isn't the only window in use within Fireworks, and isn't necessarily "window 1". Not as crucial, but very much worth noting, is that the "zoom" button seems to be button 1, not button 2 (on my operating system, anyway).

As a result, I was able to get the original script to work using "click button 1 of window 2" in place of the existing instructions. (Though it's not strictly necessary, I also removed the second half of the script, which involves System Preferences that I already have set appropriately.)

If you stick with the numbered window approach, the resulting script may not work in other applications—but might perhaps work in other Adobe applications (?). As such, you'd probably want to name the script accordingly, something like "FW toggleZoom" or "Adobe windowZoom".

Once you've got the script working, you can create a Service out of it—using Automator, I think—and place it in ~/Library/Services. Then you can use System Preferences > Keyboard to assign it a keyboard shortcut.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 3:44 PM   in reply to AutoApp_Jords

At this point, I'm not sure about the Automator aspect of this, but apparently, you could instead opt to assign a keyboard shortcut directly to a script based on its location within the AppleScript menu:

http://macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2007/06/08/hit-and-run-launching-app lescripts-with-keyboard-shortcuts.html?page=2

(And if the AppleScript menu is not already visible within your Finder menu, you can enable it via the Preferences of the AppleScript Editor utility.)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to groove25

Let me know if you succeed in getting this working to your satisfaction.

I find that the AppleScript works reliably, given the previously mentioned modification ("click button 1 of window 2"). Placing it in the ~/Library/Scripts folder makes it accessible from the AppleScript menu in the Finder, available within Fireworks. However, I've been unable to successfully assign a shortcut to the script—that is, I can assign it a shortcut, but the shortcut doesn't appear within the AppleScript menu and doesn't work.

I've also got a few other issues with its performance:

1) Running the script causes the entire Fireworks panel interface to be redrawn, an effect that I find disruptive and disquieting.

2) The zoom state of the document window seems to be recorded, and other FW panels affect resizing. These two factors combined make it challenging to return to a Standard view with panels—requiring multiple "clicks" or command firings.

In my limited experience, Services seem to integrate more smoothly with applications than do AppleScripts; therefore, converting the script to a Service would possibly take care of my first complaint. However, when I attempt this conversion (opening Automator, starting a new Service, choosing 'Run AppleScript' from the Library, pasting in the script contents, specifying 'no input' in 'any application', and then saving), the resulting Service fails in Fireworks, producing an error message.

When it comes to Automator, I'm an absolute beginner. I have a hard time understanding and navigating its interface, and I have no clue what's wrong with the Service.

All in all, I think it's neat to have an AppleScript that can toggle the Zoom button in Fireworks, but it's not particularly useful by itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to AutoApp_Jords

BTW, I know I mentioned this option earlier, but I'm now convinced that Window > Use Application Frame may be the simplest and smoothest way to work with a full screen document window. Using the Tab key to hide/show panels, all it takes is a single keystroke to alernate between states.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points