Skip navigation
videosarecool
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting a 33 meg file makes 20 gigs dissapear off hard drive, for the love of god help please

Jan 5, 2013 3:26 AM

Tags: #cs5.5 #exporting #space #encoding #hard #drive

Hi,

I am working in CS5.5 with 6 gigs of ram on windows 7.   I am really clueless to what is causing this problem.

When I try to export a work area, no matter what the size of the file, be it a 33 megabyte 3gp or a 700 meg h264, 20 gigabytes dissapear off my drive, thats right 20 gigabytes or more. completely vanish.  How could encoding an export take up so much hard disk space especially when the file is only 33 megs????

the timeline is 16 hours, but the work area file I try to export is only 10 min of 720 res, so maybe that has something to do with it but I dont understand.

any help would be much appreciated.   thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to videosarecool

The size of the export will depend on the duration of the export and the bitrate used in the export.  Nothing else has any bearing, including the size of the original media file.

If you want a smaller file, you need to either make it shorter, or reduce the bitrate.

My suspicion is that you may be actually exporting the entire 16 hours here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 6:34 PM   in reply to videosarecool

Please don't double-post.  I deleted your other topic.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 7:44 PM   in reply to videosarecool

Please SHOW everyone your export settings... directions here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30

Also tell everyone where you are exporting... which should be to your 2nd, data drive

And read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to videosarecool

videosarecool wrote:

I am exporting to my c drive because my other two usb drives are broken and the one that works is the usb drive where alot of my video source is coming from. I have played around with the settings changing the type of file to 3gp and bit rates ect.  but no matter the export size or type gigabytes dissapear unaccounted for.  export settings.PNG

The source sequence seems to be about 17 hours long(?). There seems to be something weird going on there. I would paste the section that you are trying to export into a new sequence, then export. I have seen a forum issue before where a guy was trying to render a short section out of a ridiculously long sequence and it was not working for him. Isolating the desired section to a new sequence cleared it up.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to videosarecool

Well.... no snark intended here, but you might want to avoid creating 17 hour sequences.  It is really unusual, and likely something coders won't being losing sleep over trying to adjust. Generally, the timeline is where a single sequence or program  is constructed. If you are needing to portray an actual real passage in time without breaks, you should break that up into more manageable sequences. After all, no one is going to watch a 15+ hour program. Speaking more generically, the raw footage should remain in the project panel, and the trimmed bits should be assembled in the timeline into a sequence or program.

Best of Luck

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to videosarecool

>denied access by windows 7 security

Search http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US for all things Microsoft... including articles on managing Win7 security

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points