Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

The file is incompatible with InDesign (Error code: 14)

Jan 5, 2013 2:51 AM

Tags: #files #crash #indesign #cs6 #incompatibility #reports #error14

Hi,

I am running OS X 10.8.2, MacMini late 2009, 6Gb RAM, 190 GB OS Partition with 89 Gb free, Adobe InDesign CS6. InDesign is genuine, it is a Cloud license.

I am getting this error for any file I try to open. Despite that each time I delete InDesign Recovery files, InDesign is opening but when I try to open any file I get this error.

The document I initially tried to open contains a library. Seems like I get this errors everytime a ddocument has a library atttached to it. Does that creates issues?

Any solution?

Kind regards,

Sebastian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 5:13 AM   in reply to sebdea

If there's a library attached to it it must be a very, very, very old file.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 7:12 AM   in reply to sebdea

So what changed on the system Yesterday? If ID was working yesterday, and not today, something happened yesterday.....

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to sebdea

Let's try some more minor surgery.

Close ID (I know, it's already closed).

Trash the prefs.

Trash the recovery data.

Trash the files listed here: Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup

Trash ALL of the "Current" workspace .xml files in your user library in the workspaces folder. You can leave the base files. Just remove the current configuration ones as they may refer to the missing library.

Remove the FontXplorer plugin from ID temporarily.

Try to open ID.

If it works close it, and move the plugin back, then try again.

If you still have problems, see Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X

It's possible the office stuff did some damage to ID, too. If all else fails, uninstall, run the clean tool (CS Cleaner Tool for installation problems | CCM, CS6, CS5.5, CS5, CS4, CS3) and reinstall and update ID again.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to sebdea

You may want to take a look at Suitcase Fusion 4.

I've seen no issues at all on either Mac or Windows.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 1:17 AM   in reply to sebdea

The report is for a hang, which I'm not at all good at reading, and the screen shot doesn't open here. You can embed the screen shot directly into a post using the camera icon like this:

CameraIcon.png

I'm confused, though. Does the .indd file open on your system? Why is there a .idml file?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2013 2:09 AM   in reply to sebdea

Recurring errors are either from a software conflict of some sort or some hardware issue -- failing memory or hard drive are two possibilities.

You should expect the text to reflow so that line endings change when your .idml is opened in CS5, and there may be other differences depending on the file contents and construction. It's much better is everyone is using the same version for collaboration. Your colleagues must have the 7.0.4 patch installed for ID in order to open your .idml, I suspect.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to sebdea

As I mentioned before, hangs are not all that helpful in figuring out what's wrong, but they can be converted into crashes pretty easily. See Adobe Forums: InDesign CS5.5 Not Responding for directions on what to do next time it hangs.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points