Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why are my photos being imported sideways?

Jan 5, 2013 11:57 AM

Tags: #bridge_sideways

This has never happened in the past, but all my portrait orineted photos are being imported sideways.   Anyone know why this is?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to LeighFaster

Set them straight in the Bridge or Explorer then import into Premiere.

See if that will help.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 1:42 PM   in reply to LeighFaster

Depending on your camera Manufacturer you might have a dedicated importing application by that camera maker for your model which will automatically straighten images based on EXIF data found in the image (whether your camera was rotated 90 degrees or not) when you shot the image.  I would highly recommend re-importing those images using that application if you have it.  If you do not have the CD installer check the Manufacturer's support website for a downloadable installer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 1:56 PM   in reply to LeighFaster

I should mention that I am importing the images from my camera into Bridge.

Are you importing into a local drive on your puter?  You should.

FWIW.  One of my intense pet peeves... is seeing people taking photographs portrait mode!  Especially 16:9.

I just dont get it compositionally or practically and if the shots are intended for "video"...less so..

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to shooternz

One of my intense pet peeves... is seeing people taking photographs portrait mode!

Dude, you and me both.  Leave the freakin' camera horizontal, as God intended.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

I tend to watch movies and TV etc on my couch... sitting on the right hand side ( camera right ) of couch.

If all of a sudden the stuff I'm watching gets horizontal I simply lay down on my left side and put my head on pillow and relax.

So I can watch stuff like this basically with my head rotated 90 degrees to the left ( camera left ) 90 degrees.

2nudes78.jpg

Then if the images get right side up again and were shot correctly etc..I can just sit up on my couch to normal position again.

The alternative is to get up off couch and turn the TV sideways.. which is way more work for me than just laying down.

Just some ideas I'm throwing out here...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to able123

Dude.....NSFW. Come on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to wfmc staffer

Well, one good thing about going sideways... a lot of art critics think that if you can turn an image around on its axis ( sideways, upside down etc ) and the "composition " still looks cool.. than the picture is very good.

There's always a silver lining.

|
    Mark as:
  • Al Bergstein
    107 posts
    Aug 8, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to able123

THe question I have for able123 is where did you get a Snaggletooth sock puppet?t? Have to check Ebay immediately.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to Al Bergstein

ollie.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to LeighFaster

In Photoshop, you can create an Action to "correct" the orientation of your Images, and then do a Save_As. With Automate to Batch, you can use that Action on entire folders of Images, and it will then be done automatically, as soon as you hit OK.

The problem is that some viewers read a metadata tag, that instructs the viewer on how to display the Image. This is ONLY for the display, and gives the false sense that the Images have actually been Rotated. They have not, and the pixels have not been reordered. This article goes into a bit more detail: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4160588#4160588

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill, you're absolutely right and I was remiss in my first response above.  I checked some of my folders and in one of the first folders from several years ago Windows Explorer displays photos as both portrait and landscape.  I used the camera's software to import the photos but I don't recall whether I also rotated them in Explorer or if I was on a different OS (probably a different OS).  In any case with newer photos from only about 1 month ago I see that Explorer only displays the images in landscape orientation, although some of the pics were clearly oriented as portrait when I took them with the camera.  And I'm sure in the camera's software they are rotated.  Go figure.  I can't explain the difference between the old photos and the new ones and how they are displaying in Windows Explorer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to markerline

I'm probably misunderstanding this...portrait vs landscape thing...

My understanding was that if I have an editing project set up to be 1920 x 1080... and I shot a picture at 1920 x 1080 in portrait orientation...the picture would look like this in the editor...

2NudesPortrait.jpg

And if I shot the picture in landscape orientation it would look like this in editor

2NudesLandscape.jpg

So I dont see how the portrait thing works.  Now, I do know that "people shots" like this using green screen and motion pic cameras will often be rigged to shoot "portrait" ( camera rigged at 90 angle to horizon...vertical instead of horizontal ). The reason is to work in post on very fine details regarding the key and reflections and so on... then the image is rotated to correct orientation (to fit landscape frame in editor ) and scaled 'down' so the people fit the frame ( head and feet in the frame ).  But other than that I dont get it...why shoot portrait for film editing ?? Unless it's gonna be scaled and positioned to put a 'portion' of the image in the editor ??

I must be missing something about this thread.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 11:11 AM   in reply to able123

my only point in answering the question of the OP was to answer how to adjust rotation and it seems i had the wrong answer to begin with.  you're probably right about everything aesthetically speaking concerning landscape and video though.  i don't really work in video but saw this question in my rss and decided to enter the discussion.  perhaps i should have strayed away but the question was geared towards bridge, photoshop, still images, etc. and i do on occasion take stills.  no worries.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 11:28 AM   in reply to markerline

no.. dont feel like your input didnt help.. I think it did... I just dont get it...but then after I posted the above I thought, " Hmm, maybe this is about PIP stuff in the posters problem and I just didn't think of that... "

I tend to think in terms of more basic things... so this may be more advanced then what I deal with, I have no clue.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to able123

I didn't think of Picture in Picture either but that could be a good use.

What I was thinking of is all the people I see on the subway with their iOS devices shooting video in portrait orientation.  And shooting stills that way.  If they wanted to make a linear slideshow of their captures in Premiere then I could see the point of this discussion.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 8:28 PM   in reply to markerline

What I was thinking of is all the people I see on the subway with their iOS devices shooting video in portrait orientation.

When I see that, I go up to them and help them turn it sideways, to the proper orientation.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 10:25 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Do you get beaten up very often Jim? 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 12:34 PM   in reply to shooternz

It's why I became a black belt.

http://www.oocities.org/televisioncity/set/6401/HMRKARAT.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to LeighFaster

If you are on a Mac I have found an easy workaround for this issue. Once I have all my images on my desired drive I open them all with Preview. Then skim through and make sure they all appear to be oriented in the desired direction, rotate any that aren't. Then select all>tools>adjust size. Don't change anything in the Adjust Size box, just hit ok. Now save your work. Your Mac will save all the images as you have seen them oriented in Preview. So even the images that would have appeared in Pr or En as landscaped are now saved as portrait.

This method works and is a quick "batch" workaround.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points