Skip navigation
Alan Eckert
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom 4 will not move some folders to new drive

Jan 5, 2013 12:39 PM

Following several online tutorials, I successfully moved most of my Lightroom photos from one external drive which was nearly full to a new 1 TB drive.  However, 95 photos out of over 16,000 would not move.  I figured out it was because I had originally copied them to the old drive from a CD and the permissions were read only.  So I went into Finder-Get Info and changed the permissions on all 95 files to read and write.  Now, however, Lightroom will not transfer the folders containing the files to the new drive.  It says "A Folder Named . . . already exists at this location."  However, the folder doesn't show up in Lightroom.  Lightroom did create the folder, and it shows in Finder, but it does not show in the LR catalog and I can't import files into it.  What now?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Alan

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 1:08 PM   in reply to Alan Eckert

Check in Finder if the folder exists in this location. Then - still in Finder - check if it contains any photos.

a) If it doesn't contain photos, delete it and try to move the folder in Lr again;

b) if it contains some photos that don't show in Lr, import the photos in Lr. This will display the folder in Lr. Then in Lr move the photos (not the folder!) from the old location to the new one.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to Alan Eckert

Don't import a folder that's already in Lr.

Importing should be used only for images that have never been imported.

Just move the folder in Lr. That means you drag-and-drop the folder in the folders panel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points