Skip navigation
MasterCutz
Currently Being Moderated

Image Quality Difference Among File Formats.

Jan 5, 2013 3:30 PM

I'm creating a title sequence in After Effects that uses a series of still images.

I've been using TIFF formatted images and was pleased with the quality. On the other hand,  I've started to try to use Photoshop EPS images because it's easy to create clipping paths from the alpha channels in Photoshop, then automatically maintain those mask/transparency settings after the EPS images are imported into After Effects.

However, I've noticed that the  EPS images are much softer than those the TIFF ones, even at the same scale and resolution. These are photographs that need to look rich and crisp at all times.

What would you suggest I do to maintain the best image quality while being able to easily use clipping paths to eliminate the original backgrounds of the images I'm importing into AE? Is there some setting I can change to improve the quality of EPS images in AE or would some other file format be more appropriate?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 6:17 PM   in reply to MasterCutz

Don't use eps bitmaps. They come in at low bit rates. Use psd files. EPS is for doing things like vector masking on high rez images for print and for maintaining fonts for printing. They have very little place in video production.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 8:58 PM   in reply to MasterCutz

Same procedure. Double click the background layer, create your mask, save as a PSD. Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 8.48.43 PM.png

All transparency in Photoshop is supported in AE directly except transparency created with this tool in the Effects Panel:

Screen Shot 2013-01-05 at 8.49.40 PM.png

To access this type of blending you need to import with editable blending modes and then enable Use Blend Range from source in the Advanced Blending options under Layer Styles in AE. I actually use this a lot to clean up mattes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 12:38 AM   in reply to MasterCutz

Your workflow is atrocious, to say the least. As Rick suggested, simply use PSDs. AE will perfectly rretain PS' transparency and  - surprise, surprise - if you import it as a comp, AE will even convert layer clipping paths to masks.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points