Skip navigation
SkyStudios
Currently Being Moderated

Can i capture video directly from a Canon 5d mkiii into Premiere 6?

Jan 5, 2013 4:26 PM

Hello

i am wondering if i can capture video directly from a Canon 5d mkiii into Premiere 6 to record interviews?

IS this possible via USB or HDMi?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2013 4:44 PM   in reply to SkyStudios

No, you should copy your video off the data card onto a raid array designed for HD media playback. Then use the Media Broswer to import the clips into PrP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 5:00 PM   in reply to SkyStudios

Not with USB, but if you have an HDMI input device (Matrox or Black Magic cards, etc.) you can capture something from those.

The big problem is in what comes out of the HDMI ports on Canon DSLRs - you certainly can't record on the camera at the same time as that shunts the HDMI port into SD mode, but even in standby you get interlaced 1080 footage, and there are the status overlays as you see on the LCD screen. Canon currently only allows full-spec feeds from their "cinema" range of cameras, they intend to allow an uncompressed 4:2:2 1080  feed from the 5DmkIII in a firmware update but it's not coming out until April 2013. The Magic Lantern alpha build says it removes the overlays but you don't get 1920x1080 as they just mask out the menu regions. You also have to furtle about to keep the mirror up for more than 30 minutes and the sensor cool.

All in all, possible - yes. Useful - not so much. If you need single takes over the 4GB limit, it's a lot simpler to run with a conventional video camera. If you want to stick with DSLRs, I suggest recording to card, and running a B-cam out of sync with the A-cam so you can bounce across in the edit when each camera hits the 4GB limit. You might lose a tiny bit of latitude in grade with card-based footage at 4:2:0 over uncompressed footage from a cinema camera's output, but it's full-res and reliable.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2013 5:36 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Or just get a Panasonic GH3, which produces a better image for less money and has none of these issues.

|
    Mark as:
  • Al Bergstein
    107 posts
    Aug 8, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to SkyStudios

The April upgrade claims to fix this issue. If you have to do it before then and can rent a camera then you might want to. Not all of us can afford to take Jim's "advice" when you consider the cost of lense changes to get one seldom used feature. (If in fact it's seldomused). I am beginning to wonder if Panasonic is paying trolls to post off topic thoughts like this, since I see them pop off like this on a variety of boards.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 3:17 AM   in reply to Al Bergstein

This thread is about capturing from a DSLR with Premiere Pro - let's not devolve into a fight about which brands are better, as nobody will ever agree on that.

Without knowing how the footage is being used it's impossible to say which option is better - getting a continuous take with a video camera, or getting a specific DSLR-style look to the footage in 4GB chunks. If you record sound externally then it's trivial to hide any gaps with noddies, even if you only have one camera.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to SkyStudios

Dave's right.  I was just being something of a 'fanboy' rather than posting a serious response.  (Hence the wink.)

But if you're serious about seeing the superior quality of the GH3, I'd be happy to take this to the Lounge.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/video_lounge?view=discussio ns&start=0

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points