Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Convert a complex vector object to greyscale

Jan 6, 2013 5:48 AM

I have a complex vector object, containing of forms of all kinds and what not. They have two colours: black and red. To use this logo in a background area, I need to make it all grey. Everything which is black or red shall then be light grey or so. But the appearance panel can't do a single thing. It just says "this is a group, I can't handle that". So I ungrouped the entire object, then there were other sub-groups. I could go on ungrouping everything forever, but that can't be the solution. When I just click on a colour in that colour panel instead, it sets the outline colour of every single element. It hasn't always done that, there were times when it would set the fill colour of all elements. But there's no switch to tell it what exactly to set. Should I way until an even or odd day so that it would set the fill colour again? Or is there a more professional method to get this done?

Illustrator CS6 on Windows.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2013 6:02 AM   in reply to dg9ngf

dg,

If you go back to the original object(s), you may:

0) Copy everything, and hide the original or save it in some other way;

½) If needed, select everything and in the Transparency palette/panel reduce the Opacity so that 1 gives the right shades of grey;

1) Select everything and (depending on version) Filter>Effect>Colors>Convert to grayscale.

More professional? Maybe more cheating.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 10:56 AM   in reply to dg9ngf

It's in Edit > Edit colors

You can also create a color group of greyscale swatches and then use Edit > Edit colors > Recolor art.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 11:15 AM   in reply to dg9ngf

Thank you for the correct reference, Monika.

dg, I apologize for misremembering. Once it was under Filter, then I believed it was under Effects.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points