Skip navigation
MartinDavis2013
Currently Being Moderated

Unable to open Canon CR2 files after installing Camera Raw 7.3

Jan 28, 2013 11:03 AM

Tags: #raw #.cr2 #photoshop_11

I have photoshop elements 8 and have used raw files from my canon 450D for several years.  Just upgraded to Photoshop Elements 11 and it doesn't recognise the .CR2 files o, as far as I can tell any other type of Raw file.  This despite loading Camera Raw 7.3?

Can anyone help?

Message title was edited by: Brett N

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2013 3:13 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Hi,

I'm assuming that you haven't changed cameras.

Is this a PC or MAC?

Which version of the operating system?

Do you get any error message when you try to open one?

Have you checked that camera raw installed OK - in editor, go to Help -> About Plug-in -> camera raw

What is your screen resolution? - greater than 1024x768 ?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 4:11 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Hi,

When you installed PSE 11, did you turn off any anti-virus software (although I'm convinced that it makes a difference)?

When you look at the help -> About plug-ins, do you see the other plug-ins like magic extractor?

In the installer file that showed the fatal error is there anything to indicate which bit failed?

If you go to Help -> Updates does it try to apply an update?

Sorry, it's only questions at this stage

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Hi Martin,

No, PSE does not only work on a 64bit PC - I have it on a 32bit and a 64bit system.

The Shared Technology thing is more of a problem - I've seen that crop up several times.

At the moment I can't rembember the resolution - will have a search.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 6:09 AM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Martin,

If you look at this, it mentions Shared Techonology problems part way down - you could try that.

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-installation -photoshop-elements-premiere.html

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 6:18 AM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Martin,

Looking around a bit more, the possible solution to be to ensure that all other applications are closed when you try the install.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 7:32 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Hi Martin,

Good Luck - hope to have a positive reply from you soon

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 11:37 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Hi Martin,

Sorry that it didn't work.

I have just had a quick search and there are various mentions of the shared technology problem so that must be the key.

When you did the clean install of PSE, did you try running msconfig to disable all the start-up applications?

I will try to have another think.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 1:44 PM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Hi Martin,

I have just dug out my old laptop which is running XP - 32bit - and I managed to install PSE 11 on that without a problem - so there is hope.

One thing that has crossed my mind, is you XP fully up to date? I know that microsoft only issues security updates now but have you got all the .net framework updates applied. If I remember correctly, the .net update were sometimes classed as optional and so were not automatically applied.

You seem to know a fair bit about computers, do you ever use Ccleaner? I ask because it has some useful tools which can produce a text file with a list of the start-up applications. I was wondering if posting that to me, perhaps using the private message facility of the forum, might give me a clearer understanding of your system.

There must be a conflict somewhere and tracking it down could be the problem

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Have you tried installing ACR 7.3 from this manual download link:

http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/win/PhotoshopCameraRaw7-7.0 /7.3.37/Setup.zip

On my 64-bit Win7 computer, the Camera Raw.8bi version 7.3 plug-in for Elements 11 is the only file in this folder, and is dated 11/28/2012 08:28pm with a size of 21.974,168 bytes:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 11\File Formats

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 1:57 PM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

I think that “patch not applicable” error message means the installer in the setup.zip is only applicable to regular Photoshop, not Elements.

Let’s try manually extracting the plug-in from the zip and manually putting it in the correct location:

1. In the setup.zip downloaded from the link, above, extract the files, somewhere, and look for:  payloads\AdobeCameraRaw7.0All-291112104530\Assets1_1.zip
    2. Unzip Assets1_1.zip somewhere.
    3. You should see a single file called 1003 that is 20+MB.  This is the 32-bit version of the Camera Raw plug-in.
    4. Rename 1003 to Camera Raw.8bi
    5. Copy this Camera Raw.8bi to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Plug-Ins\Elements 11\File Formats folder location, perhaps removing the (x86) from the folder path since I’m on a 64-bit system and you’re on a 32-bit system.

I tried this process with PSE11 on my computer and the plug-in is recoganized and can be used to open raw files. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

When renaming the existing Camera Raw.8bi, make sure it is renamed to something that does NOT have .8bi at the end, to make sure PSE11 isn’t trying to load it as a plug-in.  If there is only one .8bi file in the File Formats folder and you don’t see any Camera Raw plug-in in Help / About Plug-ins… then something else isn’t installing correctly so PSE11 isn’t even looking for the CR plugin.

Take a look at this article and try to find the other logs it mentions at the very end, and look in those for other errors.  Something is blocking something from getting installed or seen:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4973788

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,806 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 9, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Hi Martin

The plug-in from PSE8 will not be the new Camera Raw 7 with the latest algorithms for highlights & shadows.

I tried the above method and got it to work. When renaming the unzipped 1003 file exactly as Camera Raw.8bi the plug-in icon appeared next to the file name. I did not rename the existing file in File Formats I moved it completely to My Documents. I then moved the renamed 1003 file into File Formats and, yes it works.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,806 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 9, 2013 2:30 PM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

Launch the Editor and click:

Help >> About Plug-in >> Camera Raw

Do you not see this - V7.3.0.71 (press Esc to close)

ACR7.3.png

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 6:54 PM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

I remember having to unzip the 1003 file separately before renaming it.  Did you do that?

Juergen

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to juergen_d

The 1003 comes from an Assets1_1.zip.  That is part of the step-by-step instructions.

The SETUP.ZIP has both the 32-bit and 64-bit plug-ins in it.  I gave the correct path for the 32-bit one, but if you’re not careful enough you may have extracted the 64-bit one, so please go back and check what you’re doing, carefully. 

Also, as 99jon suggests please post what you see when you do Help / About Plug-ins in the Elements 11 Editor.  Make sure you’re in the Elements 11 Editor, not the PSE8 Editor.   Since you have both PSE8 and PSE11 installed on your computer, make sure you’ve shut down PSE8 before checking things in PSE11 and shut down PSE11 before checking things in PSE8.  And it wouldn’t hurt to also do a Help / About Photoshop Elements just to verify which one you’re in.  I say this because on my computer I can’t have two versions of Elements Editor open at the same time.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,806 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Jan 10, 2013 3:11 AM   in reply to juergen_d

Hi Martin; to be clear, I unzipped the folder

Assets1_1.zip which is within the folder AdobeCameraRaw7.0All-291112104530

I then renamed the file 1003 as Camera Raw.8bi

I’m sure you must have the correct file as the 64 bit version is file 1002

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 7:17 AM   in reply to MartinDavis2013

If you’re going to reformat and reload your OS, then do yourself a favor and put Windows 7 or Windows 8 on your computer.  From my own experience, Windows 8 requires the CPU support NX (No-Execute memory pages) so if your computer is too old to have that capability then Windows 7 would still work.   If I was going to reinstall and update my OS to a newer version I’d probably buy a new hard-drive and install to that, so I wouldn’t touch my old XP install in case I needed to get something off of it.  That saves me having to make a backup of it somewhere.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 7:59 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Martin,

Do you by any chance have Easy CD Creator installed on your PC?

If you do think about upgrading your operating system to Windows 7, I suggest you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor to make sure that your other software and hardware will work with it. Some of the hardware manufactures didn't produce Windows 7 drivers for my hardware and so I had to get new kit.

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points