Skip navigation
bob_brennan_47
Currently Being Moderated

Bridge Issue:  CS6 Unresponsive, how to make it respond?

Jan 6, 2013 9:48 AM

Tags: #bridge_cs6 #bridge_bug #bridge_unresponsive

2 second lag after clicking on any menu item. 

4-8 second lag after right clicking on any image. 

3 second lag while selecting images with arrow keys.

2 second lag selecting multiple images

My system is high performance:

. 12 Core 3.3Ghz Xeon Processors

. 24GB RAM

. Primary drive is 8 SSDs in a RAID0 configuration

. Dual nVidia Quadro FX5400

. OS: Win7 x64

CS5 and CS5.5 were very “snappy” in responsiveness on this system.  CS6 Bridge works fine on my laptop, perfectly responsive.

Once Camera RAW or Photoshop are open, no issue working in these tools, so, the issue is bridge.

Here’s my debugging steps which have not worked to fix the issue:

1. Installed the latest camera RAW plug in from Nikon.  Nikon D800 RAW .NEF files work in windows explorer and in CS5.5.
  2. Installed all windows updates
  3. Installed the lastest nvidia FX5800 card drivers
  4. Uninstalled all Adobe products (reader, media player, etc.)
  5. Uninstalled all plugs ins (HDR, noise, etc.)
  6. Checked there are no fonts on the system (no TTF files)
  7. Uninstalled Office 2013 to make sure there were no system font issues.
  8. Uninstalled all Nikon software except the RAW plug in.
  9. Deleted C:\Program Files\Adobe and C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe
  10. Searched for any Adobe reference in c:\Users\<my_username>\ (example AppData), and deleted it.
  11. Cleaned the registry of any reference to Adobe or any dll related to Adobe or an Adobe plug in.
  12. Rebooted multiple times.
  13. Re-installed CS6 Master Collection. 
    1. At this point it did not recognize my raw photos (.NEF from a Nikon D800).
  14. Installed all Adobe Updates.
    1. The updates fixed the camera raw issue
    2. Ran FontTest.jsx – all fonts passed, none failed.
  15. Tried Preferences:
    1. Advanced -> Use Software Rendering : CPU utilization went up, but, no impact on the lag
    2. Startup Scripts : Disabled all but Photoshop CS6
    3. Increased Cache Size, Compacted Cache, Purged Cache, Different Cache organizations, etc.

Does anyone know how to fix this

bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2013 10:44 AM   in reply to bob_brennan_47

bob_brennan_47 wrote:

2 second lag after clicking on any menu item. 

4-8 second lag after right clicking on any image. 

3 second lag while selecting images with arrow keys.

2 second lag selecting multiple images

CS6 Bridge works fine on my laptop, perfectly responsive.

Since it works fine on laptop and not on desktop it can not be Bridge.  Feel it is a software conflict.  You task is a little easier than most as you have a good working verion on laptop and not on desktop.  You need to compare and see what is different between the two.  Do you have the same anti-virus program, any key macro programs, same OS version, pen tablet programs, mouse, mouse driver, and so forth. 

Not a computer whiz but as I have said on similar posts, it is almost as there is some delay when you click on an item and when Bridge gets the signal.  Feel this click is routed through the OS subroutine for this function, and there is something that is intersepting the signal to search for something.  The trick of course is to figure out what.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2013 11:14 AM   in reply to bob_brennan_47

I assume this means two GPU cards   Dual nVidia Quadro FX5400.  Since you get no added boost to performance from 2 cards on PS assume the same for Bridge.  Since they are both the same it will work this way.  Two different cards will cause problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I have exactly the same issue on Windows 8. I was wondering if it was a software conflict so I created a new acount, logged in and tried Bridge from there. It worked perfectly. I've yet to figure out which program is conflicting with Bridge but I'll keep you guys posted.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to deadcities

Win7 Pro x64, Intel 3570K, Radeon HD 7850, 128Gb SSD on 'C' containing OS and applications (User Profile still on 'C' but data mapped to a hard drive).

Bridge CS6 (fully updated) is glacially slow and is totally unusable on my new build PC. Bridge successfully builds cache but it's as if it forgets where it has put it and tries to build cache all over again.  Response times can be 40 seconds or so.  Like the previous poster it runs perfectly if I create a new User Account and run Bridge from that.

There are no issues with other applications and the Event Log is clean.

Adobe Support remotely logged on tp my PC and tried various fixes, non of which worked. Eventually a new User Account was generated and Bridge was run from there.  Bridge ran perfectly. Adobe support concluded that it was a User Account issue and that I should talk to Microsoft.  Alternatively it was suggested that I should to run Bridge and PS from the new logon.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2013 7:17 PM   in reply to xermes

Most programs run best on C drive.  WIth the small SSD's becoming popular numerous problems appear as temp and other programs are moved elsewhere.  Make sure you have the latest Bridge update as it was supposed to fix the temp problem not being on C drive.

Are you on a network?  Many are finding if it is on Favorite list they have slowdowns and Bridge tries to recache everything.  Unplug from network and see if it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 2:41 AM   in reply to Curt Y

My configuration:

I am on a Home network (no domain controller), the PC from which I run Bridge is Ethernet attached and another is connected wirelessly.  Only My Documents, My Music, My Pictures and My Videos folders are mapped to hard disk 'D' as per:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/Redirect-a-folder-to-a-new -location

The paging file and remaining user data remain on 'C'.  Re SSDs the Temp and Tmp variable assignments are the same for both User Accounts:

User Variables

TEMP  %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

TMP    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

System Variables

TEMP: C:\Windows\TEMP

TMP:   C:\Windows\TEMP

It makes no difference whether Bridge's cache is mapped to 'C' ot 'D'.

There is 55Gb of free space on my SSD 'C' drive and I have 8Gb of RAM.  As SSD and Network configurations are common to both my User Account (Bridge is glacially slow) and the new test User Account (Bridge is lightning fast), I can't see how these can be the problem, but thanks for drawing them to my attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 3:41 PM   in reply to xermes

Bridge is totally unusable.  Google's Picasa works well and provides a work-around pending resolution:

http://picasa.google.com/

How to integrate with PS:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/picasa/FWAPo0rxzBs

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2013 5:07 PM   in reply to xermes

A number of users never use Bridge as a browser, but use Windows Explorer.  They buy a plug in so it will display thumbnails of psd files and are quite happy with the arrangement. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2013 6:28 PM   in reply to bob_brennan_47

Bob,

I am running Win7 Pro x64 and this worked for me. Try running the latest version of Bridge (5.0.2.4) in Vista SP2 Compatibility Mode.  Both 32bit and 64bit Bridge now work like a dream (Attention Adobe Support!).

1. Click the Windows Orb bottom left and click 'All Programs'

2. Right-click on Adobe Bridge (32bit or 64bit)

3. Click 'Copy'

4. Right-click on the Windows Desktop and click 'Paste Shortcut'

5. Right-click the Shortcut and click 'Properties'

6. Click on the 'Compatibility' tab

7. Click the 'Run this program in compatibility mode' checkbox and select 'Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the dropdown..

8. Click 'ok'

You may do this for both 32bit and 64bit versions of bridge.  Click on the appropriate shortcut on the desktop to launch the program.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2013 7:22 AM   in reply to xermes

Having just searched 'Bridge' and 'compatibility mode' I see I am not the only one to discover that emulating Vista SP2 works for others too.  Adobe's assertion that the widely reported glacially slow Bridge issue is all due to user account corruption is wearing a little thin.

Meanwhile I am finding that Picasa 3 works better for me. It supports online albums and also offers face recognition.  I installed the program and it immediately set off matching photographs with faces and indexing them accordingly.  It even correctly identified pics of me when I was very young despite my face having changed somewhat in the intervening years.  Where Picasa produced an insufficiently confident match it asked for confirmation.  Picasa allowed me to assign a name to each face.  Though the matching process requires some effort, being able to search by face match has made my large collection of phographs very much more accessible and I found some excellent photographs that I had not seen in a long time!

As described earlier in this thread a few clicks will pass a photograph to PS for editing.  However the slick way is to use Picasa's API to configure a button.  This invokes PS with a single click.  It involves a bit of XML and GUID generation which should not be difficult for anyone with a technical background.  The examples available will need editing for CS6.

Picasa RAW Support:

http://support.google.com/picasa/answer/15625?hl=en&

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2013 7:43 AM   in reply to xermes

Many thanks for this info.  CS6 Bridge was extremely slow, but your workaround worked perfectly.  John Hallam

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2013 1:15 AM   in reply to xermes

Xermes,

I wish I'd found your solution BEFORE uninstalling, reinstalling, and losing ALL of my collections...  Well, at least the images are safe and backed-up, and I guess having already rated the images, it won't be too horrible rebuilding the collections, but I did have over 10,000 images in those collections...  So it goes.  Thanks again, you saved much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair.

One interesting aspect:  I'd been running Bridge CS6 64bit for over a year without a problem, then suddenly last week, totally unresponsive.  At times it took MINUTES to even access the toolbar.  According to task manager and the performance monitor, only 1 of the 12 CPU threads was engaged, all the others were either parked or at 0%.  I guess Adobe hasn't quite mastered the distributed processing...  And further, my wife's PC has just started exhibiting the same behavior, but it couldn't be Adobe's fault!

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to NurseBob

I’m getting the same problem. Lag for around 5 seconds. I also tried the vista service pack 2 solution which works but...

Photoshop files will not load in Photoshop cc because "Adobe Photoshop cannot run on this computer because this version of Photoshop requires Windows 7 or later"

Most others files work, Indesign, acrobat, Illustrator.

I have pointed the image department within adobe to this page and getting a call within the next 3 days from the senior department and will update you on what he says.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 6:16 AM   in reply to CW Photography

Update:

If Photoshop is open then it will load photoshop files into it so running in vista service pack 2 'compatibility mode' will sort the problem out.

I hope Adobe will have a better solution... we will see.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 20, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to CW Photography

Photoshop files will not load in Photoshop cc because "Adobe Photoshop cannot run on this computer because this version of Photoshop requires Windows 7 or later"

As a Mac user I have to be careful but maybe Curt can hop in. To my knowledge both XP and Vista are indeed no longer supported by Adobe per CC.

XP is also soon to be dropped by MS so that is understandable but Vista is more recent. However there have been many problems to solve for Adobe regarding Vista which (as I also understood) has yet a very small group of users, hence they stopped developing their software further for this platform due to cutting costs and make the best out of the available resources for more recent systems.

Maybe Curt can correct me but the easiest way for you would be either to stay with CS6 or bite the bullet and upgrade to at least Windows 7 so both system and software are again in line with each other.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 7:30 AM   in reply to CW Photography

I have talked at length to Adobe about this issue.  They have not been able to reproduce it.  They maintain it is a user install problem, and there is no good reason that Vista should work when Win7 does not.  But evidence shows it does.  This issue will never be addressed as they have moved beyond CS6.

There is something in the install Bridge does not like, or some incompatibility with other software that causes the problem.  An uninstall, running Adobe Script Cleaner,and reinstall, or setting up another user account are the only options I can think of.

A number of users have very slow Bridge if connected to a server.  Have no experience with servers, but it appears the conflict arises when the server has "favorites" or other folders on it that Bridge wants to search and cache. 

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I think you missunderstood. I am using windows 8.1 pro but this is a work around for the problem.

My problem with Bridge CC:

6 second lag after clicking on any menu item. 

6-8 second lag after right clicking on any image. 

6 second lag while selecting images with arrow keys.

6 second lag selecting multiple images

Solution:

Try running the latest version of Bridge in Vista SP2 Compatibility Mode.  Both 32bit and 64bit Bridge now work like a dream (Attention Adobe Support!). 

1. Click the Windows Orb bottom left and click 'All Programs'

2. Right-click on Adobe Bridge (32bit or 64bit)

3. Click 'Copy'

4. Right-click on the Windows Desktop and click 'Paste Shortcut'

5. Right-click the Shortcut and click 'Properties'

6. Click on the 'Compatibility' tab

7. Click the 'Run this program in compatibility mode' checkbox and select 'Windows Vista (Service Pack 2) from the dropdown..

8. Click 'ok'

You may do this for both 32bit and 64bit versions of bridge.  Click on the appropriate shortcut on the desktop to launch the program.

The message

'Photoshop files will not load in Photoshop cc because "Adobe Photoshop cannot run on this computer because this version of Photoshop requires Windows 7 or later'

is just a comment you get when running bridge in Vista SP2 Compatibility Mode as I guess bridge thinks its on a vista machine.

Its just a work around for the lag problem some people are getting.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to CW Photography

Well adobe should see that this is also happening on bridge CC ......

Its also a clean install Windows 8.1 Pro

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to CW Photography

Is the Adobe Scripe Cleaner - Adobe CC Cleaner Tool?

What order do you need to uninstall?

I have done the following:

1. Uninstalled all adobe software

2. Used Adobe CC Cleaner Tool

3. Reboot

4. Reinstall Bridge

Still had the problem.

:-(

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 20, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to CW Photography

Sorry for misunderstanding, use forum by email and did not see previous post or whole thread, hence my remarks for upgrade

Your use of the cleaner tool (indeed earlier known as clean script) is correct.

However your central cache file probably is still the same as before. I am in favor of dumping the whole cache file manually (Curt should have the Windows path at hand) and start fresh over again. In fact, I have used the cleaner tool myself and I first uninstall, run script and then provide a manual search for other Adobe files and folders (like cache) left and dump them manually.

Also I would not select the option to create cache per folder when possible and would get rid of such invisible files from earlier versions.

All the best, I now leave it to the Windows experts

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I did delete the Bridge cache files as I direct Bridge to another drive to store them but I am not aware of other files that might have to be deleted manually?

Maybe Curt do you have some more info?

Thanks for the info anyway Omke.

I have also done all the the following (see link)

helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/troubleshoot-errors-freezes-bridge-windows.h tml

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 20, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to CW Photography

The cache files are at User/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/BridgeX/cache

Note that AppData is a hidden file and you need to turn this option on in Windows Explorer.

Not the Adobe Tech guy, but feel it is some software conflict on the individual's machine.  Otherwise everyone would have very slow bridge and it shows up rarely.  Generally a lag indicates Bridge is checking on something or waiting for a all clear signal.  Sometimes it can be as simple as disconnecting the server, or changing your virus software.  Norton is particualrly noted for being intrusisve at scanning  files before they are allowed to process.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 20, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to CW Photography

but I am not aware of other files that might have to be deleted manually?

I was referring to the hidden files with cache for folder. You can check when having pointed Bridge to a folder and in menu View select 'show hidden files'. When you use side car XMP they also show now but if you have cache files they are called Bridge.Cache and Bridge.CacheT or something alike (haven't used them for long) and have a document icon.

Otherwise the remarks Curt stated about individual machine problems makes sense to me, how sad it may seem.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 1:55 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I have Bridge 64 bit CC on my machine and I have the same problem.

Bill Byrnes

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2013 1:02 AM   in reply to billbyrnes@live.com

I talked to support on Thursday and was told that someone would call within 3 days.

Of course no-one did. Adobe have gotten too big and when that happens support becomes bad, very bad.

The last problem I had with bridge was all the 'file type associations' were lost. I thought being a paying customer I will call on their help. Again Crap support, kept telling me the same thing set each one up individually. In the end I found a registry hack that sorted the problem out.

I’m all up for being legal and pay a lot of money on software making sure I am but I do understand that when a large company offers such bad support why people start thinking why pay.

Surely part of the Cloud subscription I pay should enable me to get support others who use the software illegally don’t get. Of course in reality I don’t. I don’t get any useful support.

I have to repeat myself for every department, wait around for calls that never come and hunt the forums for people who seem to do better jobs in informing others of how to solve problems.

I will keep updated on the problem as I know more. I will also like anyone else who is having to problem to message here.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2013 8:24 AM   in reply to CW Photography

If you want help here please start your own discussion thread.  The issuse you have are common.  Chat is a good option, but you need to have everything defined as they pretty much work off of a script to give standard answers to common problems.  Anything more complex and they send you here to the unpaid users volunteering their time.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 28, 2013 11:43 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Im still in the stage of using adobe's support which by the way never called again. I was just updating on here so anyone else with the problem may have a better understanding of what to do.

Does anyone have a good point of call for adobe. They say they are going to call but never do. Does anyone else get this bad level of customer support?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 29, 2013 2:36 AM   in reply to CW Photography

They say they are going to call but never do. Does anyone else get this bad level of customer support?

Considering the fact that mostly only the bad stories are told and only a few good stories come above I have to say I can't remember any good story about Adobe Support but have seen lots of bad stories. Regarding some copies of chat conversation quit hilarious if it weren't such sad occasions for the ones with a problem..

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 10:05 AM   in reply to CW Photography

Do not expect Adobe to call back, like Omke says it rarely happens.  If you want to use Adobe Help you have to be the squeaky wheel.  If you do not hear back in 24 hours likely you will not, so call every 24 hrs. until successful, or you run out of patience.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2014 8:30 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I just ran into a problem with Bridge.  Bridge recognized the hard drive but couldn’t get any information from it.  Windows 8 had no problem in Explorer.  To resolve the issue I just renamed the drive.  Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management > right click the problem drive and select Change drive letter.  Then select a different letter.   When I pulled up Bridge again it still gave me the same error pop up message but, it recognized the new letter drive.  Frankly, I’m not sure what the original problem was here, but hopefully someone else can use this information.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2014 8:41 AM   in reply to Joe8888

This would have been an OS permission error.  By re-naming drive you changed ownership.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points