Skip navigation
thor_x9
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop Elements Organizer 10 backup freezes at 49%.

Jan 6, 2013 2:21 PM

Tags: #freeze #backup #organizer_10

I have a large collection (~80,000) photos.  I have been trying (unsuccessfully) for a week to back up my collection.  Every time it freezes at 49%.  I did all the steps here: http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-catalog-back up-conversion-elements.html  Still freezing. Then I did a complete disk scan/repair and tried all the steps again.  Still freezing.  I am running Windows 7 on a powerful machine.

I want to move my collection to a new hard drive, so I really do need to use the bulit in backup.  What else can I try?  

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to thor_x9

Please find the missing files in your original catalog using File >> Reconnect >> All Missing Files and try running Reconnect once.

Remove any missing files whose original doesn't exist any more.

Now try converting or taking backup. Additionally, turn off all background processes like Face recognition, AA etc. from Edit >> Preferences >> Media analysis dialog before taking backup.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 4:12 AM   in reply to thor_x9

Getting stuck at a certain percentage points to a corrupt file in your catalog. Can you please do File >> Catalog Repair and Optimize for this catalog before taking backup?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 12:33 AM   in reply to thor_x9

Can you please rename your thumbnail cache. I suspect some corrupt thumbnails obstructing your backup. This cache will be regenerated but it will take a few hours, considering 80k files in your catalog. Im suggesting rename so that you don't stand to loose anything in between.

If you agree, please go to your catalog location which is indicated in Help >> System Info. Now rename the file thumbs.5.cache to say thumbs.5.cache.old.

Launch Organizer and let the thumbnailing happe. You will see hourglass icons on image thumbnails which is alright since hey are being updated.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to thor_x9

Thanks for trying that. Are there any read-only files/locaked files?

Also, are there a lot of video files?

From : http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-catalog-back up-conversion-elements.html

I think having a look at log might help. Can you share that? See the last point on that article.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 4:56 AM   in reply to thor_x9

does the destination have space, it could be possible that one of the files is corrupt.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 9:45 PM   in reply to thor_x9

That log is created upon conversion. But that's not your case so let's leave it aside.

I'm short of solutions now. Let's try one thing. Create a copy of catalog. i.e. go to your catalog location and copy paste the catalog-named folder. Say now you have "My Catalog" and "My Catalog copy".

In organizer, open "My Catalog copy" using File >> Catalogs dialog.

Do Find>>By Media Type>>Videos and select all videos and remove pressing Del key.

Now do Catalog repair and optimize and try taking a backup.

Your original catalog remains intact. This test is just to see where the issue is. whether with videos or with photo files.

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 5:11 AM   in reply to thor_x9

thor_x9 wrote:

I was able to do the backup of just the photos, what can I try with the videos?

That's very good news.

Here are a few ideas :

- from your original catalog, create a copy leaving only the video media types just like what you have done with photo files.

- generally offending video file types are not with 'common' video formats, rather with cell phone formats.

- There may be 'corrupted' files, but non recognized formats are probably more common

-To have a look at the different formats (file extensions), look at the total number of video files and take a note of it.  Use the search by file name, 'files containing' and select a file extension visible in the browsing space (avi, mov...). Take a note of the number of files in each category.

For each category, select all and hide the files. Continue with the next  category and so on until nothing is visible.

You'll have all your files extensions with the number of files in each category.

Now, un-hide all files and make a second copy of your video catalog.

Try a backup of the video files after having deleted one of the categories. I would start with the less common video formats.

Try this until the backup works ok : you'll know the offending format.

A variant of this method would be to select the videos by camera type rather than by format type.

Something you could do with the video catalog until you have found the offending format or corrupted file(s) : you could try move (from the organizer menu) all the video files somewhere on a new empty master folder as a standard (non PSE backup). You might get significant messages in the process. Be aware that this 'move' may be impossible to 'undo' in case of a problem. A safer variant would be to 'export' instead of 'move'.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to thor_x9

Or just in case you haven't done a lot of work on Videos say tagging/album associations, etc. you can skip them altogther and save video files on your backup drive for importing later on once you restore this catalog somewhere. But this is just in case...

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

Another suggestion : I have just had a look at my video files : a lot of thumbnails were missing. I selected all files and let the Organizer create the thumbnail. That worked fine. It's seems likely that if you have unsupported formats, some thumbnails won't be recreated... just a suggestion I can't test myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to thor_x9

Hi thor,

Have you been able to take complete backup yet?

Thanks

Andaleeb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points