Skip navigation
madasblank
Currently Being Moderated

CS6 "move" dialog box issue

Jan 6, 2013 9:11 PM

Tags: #problem #cs6 #move_shape #illustrator_actions

What is the secret to getting the "move" dialog box in AI CS6 to move objects the distance and direction entered in the box?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 6, 2013 10:23 PM   in reply to madasblank

Not sure what you mean. Care to elaborate and provide more details, including what system?

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to madasblank

I think I know what 'madasblank' means.
    In Illustrator CS5 the last value entered into the move dialog box would automatically up-date all previous values. CS6 not so much.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 2:40 PM   in reply to madasblank

1. Select objects.

2. Double-click on the Arrow Tool.

3. Input move numbers.

4. Click "OK" or "Copy".

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to madasblank

Once you turn on preview or hit ok you will see the item move. If the selected item is moving an incorrect distance, you may have in the transform palette snap to pixel grid turned on.

Screen Shot 2013-02-25 at 6.25.45 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2013 11:04 PM   in reply to Mike Gondek

I never use pixel grid. I'm afraid I'd forget to turn it off.  :+)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 8:34 AM   in reply to madasblank

I'm having that problem this very moment. When I change a value in one box, the values in the other boxes usually *don't* update. Then when I click preview, my object moves a semi-random disance in some semi-random direction. Occasionally it works right, but more often, it doesn't. Which makes this tool essentially unusable to me.

See screen capture below.

Using Illustrator CS6 (v16.0.0 64bit) on Win7-64 SP1.

Bad_Move.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to asee23455

Please describe, what you actually wanted to achieve, what exactly you're doing and what exactly happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 10:36 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

I wanted to move a particular object 3" in a direction 30 degrees clockwise from right (330 degrees counterclockwise from right). I selected that object, opened the move menu, entered 3" and 330, hit tab. Then clicked the preview box on and off. Toggling preview showed that the object moved, but not in the way I had specified. Also note that the horizontal and vertical boxes do not reflect the distance/direction that I entered.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 10:47 AM   in reply to asee23455

I can't reproduce that.

What kind of object is it?

How are your rulers set up?

How is the transformation centre set up?

Have you tried resetting preferences?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to Monika Gause

It's a group of vector polygons, with effects attached. I think rulers, transformation center, and preferences are similar to defaults. I'm not a skilled enough user to change much. I like inches, so I changed that. But otherwise, it's fairly bland. How do you reset the preferences?

I should also have mentioned that I'm using the 30-day trial version of Illustrator.

Just now, I opened up a new file, created a single rectangle, and was able to reproduce the problem. You can download the file through this link: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0Hoxcl5zTEtT1dvR0RjMkFyRTQ/edit?usp=s haring

Recipe for problem:

- Open file

- Left click the black rectangle.

- Right click the rectangle, choose tansform->move

- Tab. Tab. 1. Tab. 30. Tab. (note that h/v boxes fail to update, and remain 0)

- Click preview

Nothing happens.

It seems to me that if you enter values in the horizontal and vertical boxes, the distance/direction boxes update appropriately, and the move works fine. However, if you enter values in the distance/direction boxes, the horizontal and vertical boxes generally do not update at all, then sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes, the first set of distance/direction numbers work fine, but if you leave the move box open, then change those numbers, the h/v boxes then fail to update, and clicking preview just causes the object to move as for the previous settings, or to not move at all.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points