Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why do I lose all my html links when converting to pdf

Jan 7, 2013 5:51 AM

Tags: #html_link #convert_word_document_to_pdf

I created a document in MS Word for Mac 2011 (ver 14.5.2)

When I used Adobe Pro 11 to convert the document into pdf format, all the HTML links are lost.

I have tried converting from MS Word, opening the word version with Adobe Pro, printing from MS Word to pdf.  Nothing works. Even opened the MS Word document using Apple's Pages software, re-formatted and then converted to pdf.  Still no live links.

Best work around so far is to convert and then use the edit feature in Adobe Pro to re-insert the HTML links as invisible rectangles on top of the still-blue-and- underlined text.  So to the user it looks like the html links are still live, but what a pain for editor.

I have seen this issue raised in other posts, but none of the answers seem to work. And the work around described above is clearly less than ideal.

Very curious, as reading other posts, the issue apparently does not arise when the word doc converted from a Wintel computer.  But I can't imagine Adobe writes software one way for Intel and another for Mac.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2013 6:07 AM   in reply to matthew L2014

You need to convert using the PDFMaker plugin, not by printing to the PDF printer, if you want to maintain those links.

This plugin is not always available, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2013 6:30 AM   in reply to matthew L2014

That's the way it is, I'm afraid. When you print to the PDF Printer it's

like using a physical printer. You lose any formatting or metadata that is

associated with the file. The reasons why the PDFMaker plugin is not always

available are technical and have to do mostly with problems in the

collaboration between Apple and Adobe. I wouldn't put all the blame on

Adobe for this one, though...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 7:20 AM   in reply to matthew L2014

Save as PDF has nothing to do with Adobe. It's an internal function of

Office.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 7:33 AM   in reply to matthew L2014

See this Movie. This is the only way you can Convert to PDF on a Mac and retain hot links. http://www.screencast.com/t/RFKYTE2KNi

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

try67 wrote:

Save as PDF has nothing to do with Adobe. It's an internal function of

Office.

Quit propogating that 15 year lie it can't be done in a Mac. While Words save as PDF function is actually calling up Apple's PDF Conversion. It can be done in a Mac Adobe is just going to have to fix their conversion engine.

Its been proven  that Word has the same "hooks" in Word for URL's in Mac office  as in PC Office.  Adobe's software developers are just lazy and don't want to be bothered with fixing the Mac Version of there applications to accept them.  There has been this fued been going on between Apple, MS and Adobe for 15 years or more. They all act childish in some respects. They refuse to colaborate with each other to solve issues.  You can take a Mac Word created File, open it in PC version do nothing what so ever to it, and convert to a PDF and the URLS and Mailto's will be live. Were the "hooks" not there the PC word version would have to do them over. You can also open the same file in,  OpenOffice or Apple's Pages and and they would be live as well.

In fact in the answer following your comment.  I have shown in a Movie how to bypass  altogether all the Save as,  and Print to Adobe PDF functions and get  An acrobat file that has Live links.

It takes a Long time, for processing, but it works. I even tested the link after after the conversion within the movie. I didn't use any Tricks  Movie was not edited and pieced together.

If it can be done this way, then the software developers at adobe could fix the problem in the Print to Adobe PDF feature in the Print Menu, which is using Adobe's PDF engine not Apple's.  They just don't want to do it or corporate don't want to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to matthew L2014

Don't know It was a geniune URL Link to my Home page.

I opened word 2011 Typed it converted automatically tolive link. Then I quit word and dropped the file on The Acobat icon in the Dock.  I think the reason it took so long is that it was opening Distiller in the background.  after it was created I saved the file and clicked on the link although I tested before saving . Both times the URL was live.  A Mailto also works.

I tested as you said create alink from some word using the insert Links. Command.

And as you said. its shows blue but not clickable so only thed link that is converted automatically is the only way it works. Now adobe get off you duff and find out how to fix so all of it works.

Maybe the problem lies inAdobe's use of non standard Javascript. They use their own version instead of the accepted version used by everyone else.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 10:39 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

It's actually Acrobat recognizing the URLs within the PDFs -- they're not explictly written that way during the conversion process. You just need to make sure you have following set under Preferences > General category and check "Create links from URLs". If you don't wan to rely on everyone having the preference set you can run the command under Tools > Document Processing > Create links from URLs. This only create links from explicit URLs that start with http or www.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to LoriAUC

That's what the issue seem to be. Acrobat accepts links written as http:// or as mailto:.

But when you want not to show the link in http and mailto format  even though Mac Word has a wizzard to create. You highlight the word you wnt to make a Link. then go to Insert menu > Links   the wizard opens The word is highlighted in field, and either the Weblink or Mailto Typed.

Should work either way.  But they don't.

Here is the way it works

http://www.screencast.com/t/RO3IsQtt
    seems like it wouldn't be all that complex to fix this problem that's been bugging Mac Users for 15 years.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 10, 2013 10:09 PM   in reply to matthew L2014

I had no idea I was sending out resumes & cover letters in pdf format with links that do not work until tonight!!!! Arghhh!!!  Tonight I figured out a work around for any doc or docx file created in Word for Mac that's relatively simple. Upload the .doc or .docx to Google Drive . Right click and open with Google Docs. Under the file menu select Download as pdf. All the links will work.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 14, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to matthew L2014

On a Mac You can do the same in Apple's iWork Pages.

open the word docment directly in Pages. and Create the PDF within Pages. All links works. Again another proof it’s a Problem with Adobe not, Word. 15 years we've had Adobe dance around this subject.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points