Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

FW CS6 on Mac: how can I lock the docks with the canvas?

Jan 7, 2013 5:22 PM

Tags: #help #workspace #cs6 #dock #fireworks_cs6

I like the way all of my docs migrate from screen to screen all together when I use Dreamweaver and I seem to recall Fireworks CS5 on a PC behaved the same way. I use a MacBook Pro with an extra display at home and at work and would really like all of my panels, tool, and properties palettes to remain attached to the canvas—unless I undock a set of functions.

Here's what I found in the Help section:

Note: Dreamweaver does not support docking and undocking Document windows. Use the Document window’s Minimize button to create floating windows (Windows), or choose Window > Tile Vertically to create side-by-side Document windows. Search “Tile Vertically” in Dreamweaver Help for more information on this topic. The workflow is slightly different for Macintosh users.

But... where IS that info for Macs?

Anyone else have a workaround?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2013 7:18 PM   in reply to lucijakordic2.0

I've read your post a couple times and still can't quite figure out what you're looking for. A graphic might help me understand.

Would Window > Use Application Frame be helpful to you?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to lucijakordic2.0

Yeah, I think part of what you're noticing is the difference in UI between Adobe applications on Mac versus Windows. Macs have traditionally had the floating window approach, which allows for visualization and interaction with elements beneath—like the Desktop or other applications—whereas Windows have a more integrated, full-screen UI. I haven't used a Windows OS in a while, but I remember how jarring it was having first learned Dreamweaver on Windows, and then using that same app on the Mac.

I believe the Application Frame feature may have been developed to address that difference. Here's the excerpt from "Workspace basics" describing the feature:

The Application frame groups all the workspace elements in a single, integrated window that lets you treat the application as a single unit. When you move or resize the Application frame or any of its elements, all the elements within it respond to each other so none overlap. Panels don’t disappear when you switch applications or when you accidentally click out of the application. If you work with two or more applications, you can position each application side by side on the screen or on multiple monitors.

If you are using a Mac and prefer the traditional, free-form user interface, you can turn off the Application frame. In Adobe Illustrator®, for example, select Window > Application Frame to toggle it on or off. (In Flash, the Application frame is on permanently for Mac, and Dreamweaver for Mac does not use an Application frame.)

So is this solution working for you? I cannot think of any other way to dock all the panels and windows as a single unit.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points