Skip navigation
marka404
Currently Being Moderated

highest quality export format?

Jan 8, 2013 6:19 AM

Tags: #export #premiere_elements_11

Hello all,

I am working on a video project with one other person, who uses only Final Cut Pro on a Mac. I am using pre11. My task is to take raw .DV input files (720x480, 29.97fps ws), edit them, clean up audio and then send the clips to my associate.

Ideally, I would avoid re encoding by exporting the edited clips as .DV and then sending these files to the other person for integration into the larger project. However, from the adobe "Supported Video Eport Formats" page  ( http://tinyurl.com/asw9mvf  ) , it appears I am not able to export the finished clips as .DV. So the question is: what is the "next best option"?

Thanks in advanace...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 8, 2013 7:05 AM   in reply to marka404

If the files are going to go to the Mac for additional editing, I would use MOV as the container, and then either the Animation CODEC, or the PhotoPNG CODEC.

I receive a lot of material from 3D animatiors, and they output to MOV Animation, which works perfectly on my PC, with Apple's QT on it. The reverse course should be ideal, though the MOV Animation format/CODEC will yield large, but beautiful files.

For "intermediate files," I usually use either the Lagarith, or UT Lossless CODEC, which will be wrapped in a MS AVI wrapper. However, I am not sure if either Lagarith, or UT is available for the Mac. I think so, but have never used them, when the files are leaving my computers. Both are free, both are good, but each machine will need them installed, to work. You might want to check out whether either is Mac-compatible. More info here: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 8:09 AM   in reply to marka404

Actually, if you Publish & Share/Computer/MOV with the DV preset, you are outputting a  .dv file. My guess is that your partner would prefer this to a lossless file, since lossless files are very large and don't have any real advantages, since your original footage was shot in DV anyway.

No matter that the file you output has an .mov suffix. You can change it to .dv if you'd like. It's the same file.  Macs just have a habit of naming every file .mov, even if they're m2t, dv or mp4's.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2013 8:11 PM   in reply to marka404

Do you have the latest version of Apple's QT Player installed on your PC?

If so, you should have several MOV options.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2013 5:24 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

And, yes, you do have the option to output an MOV with the DV preset under Publish & Share/Computer. Though you may have to scroll down the list of files to see it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points