Skip navigation
yoghurtbrain12
Currently Being Moderated

InDesign doesn't import .xlsx correctly. Any idea is welcome!

Jan 8, 2013 8:10 AM

Tags: #cs5.5 #import #excel

Hi, I have the following problem: when importing .xlsx with cells that contain text as a result of a formula, the cell is empty when imported as "unformatted table". When imported as "formatted table", the content of the cells is there. "Regular" text cells (no formula) are imported correctly as "unformatted". Cells including numbers as a result of a formula are imported correctly anyway.

Saving the .xlsx as .xls is not an option, I get the file from a customer who surely won't do so;-) Importing as "formatted table" is a bad option, because the tables are formatted via SmartStyles by me and updated by the customer several times during production process. Any other idea is appreciated! Thank you.

Tested on different Macs with ID CS5 / 5.5 / 6 and .xlsx from Mac and PC.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 19, 2013 4:34 PM   in reply to yoghurtbrain12

+1 Im experiencing the same problem.

Using:

Indesign CS6 Version 8.0

Excel 2010. Version 14.0.6112.50000 (64 bit)

A workaround im using for now is a macro button that copies the "values only" to another worksheet in excel i labeled "indesign". that way i have all the output i require in text only format. (All i have to do now is wait for the day i forget to run the macro and use outdated data in my indesign file. )

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 30, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Narraman

Exact same problem over here on Windows.

Windows 7 64 bit SP1

Excel 2010 32 bit

As soon as I save as XLS it works but that breaks our workflow and is potentially unsafe (if somebody uses a 2010 only feature you will probably even lose data)

Just reported it as a bug.

Given that the "-1 doesn't import from xlsx" problem is also still not fixed (since CS4!) I'm wondering whether Adobe really wants to support the format. Trouble is, most people will have switched to 2010 or 2013 by now...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points